Computer Help forum

General discussion

Mac or Pc - Old Dilema, what should I get.

by marcelomdsc / June 5, 2008 4:20 AM PDT

Hello, I'm looking at buying a new computer.
I currently own a hp laptop but work with mac's at my job on a daily basis.
I would like to have a mac the problem is that, they are more expensive and that I wouldn't be able to install some applications that I need.
I'm a web designer and use Multiple IE all the time which doesn't work on OS X.

I'm looking at buying a 14" laptop with at least 2gb of ram and 200gb HHD under $1500

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Marcelo.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mac or Pc - Old Dilema, what should I get.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mac or Pc - Old Dilema, what should I get.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well
by Jimmy Greystone / June 5, 2008 4:29 AM PDT

Well, with the switch to Intel chips, you can dual boot Windows on a Mac now, and there are also programs like Parallels that let you run Windows apps in OS X.

So, I would say it comes down to which you prefer more: OS X or Windows.

And I have to add that I have designed web sites for IE before and you have my deepest sympathies if you do that for a living.

Collapse -
Buy what you NEED and are comfortable with.
by Edward ODaniel / June 5, 2008 4:30 AM PDT

If you are more comfortable with a Mac but NEED Windows consider the info available via this link:
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/08/02/review_bootcamp_parallels_desktop/

The data in the link is a little dated but does offer one of the better comparisons between Parallels and BootCamp. Here is a more current link for BootCamp (but you should be aware that it is not the only option)
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1656

Now you can make up your mind based on your own knowledge and needs and not subject yourself to purely opinions.

Collapse -
thanks
by marcelomdsc / June 5, 2008 5:06 AM PDT

I forgot about that. I guess more points for the mac. If only they were the same prize.

Collapse -
Do keep in mind
by Jimmy Greystone / June 5, 2008 5:41 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

Do keep in mind that beneath the pretty exterior, Apple systems tend to be put together pretty well. They aren't the delicate little things HP/Compaq systems are. Apple systems also tend to be rather quiet. I can still remember the first time the fan turned on in my iBook G4 laptop. I spent 2-3 minutes looking all over for the source of that sound before it dawned on me it must be my laptop's internal fan. The 3-4 months I'd owned it prior to that, it had been completely silent except for when I used the optical drive. I had to strain just to hear the hard drive.

Just also keep in mind I am a little biased towards Mac systems. Given the choice between the two, if there's no significantly compelling reason to go with the PC, I'll choose a Mac pretty much every time.

Collapse -
thanks
by marcelomdsc / June 6, 2008 2:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Do keep in mind

That was really helpful, but here is something I forgot about and would like to know your input on.
Last year I bought the Adobe Creative Suite CS3 for my pc of course, and I know they have different ones for pc/mac, what am I gonna do about that if I get a mac? is it possible to just exchange it or something like that?
thanks.

Collapse -
Ask Adobe
by Jimmy Greystone / June 6, 2008 3:22 AM PDT

Ask Adobe, they probably have some kind of system in place for this. Given the price of the software, they'd probably tick off a lot of people if they didn't allow you to transfer the PC license to a Mac copy, provided all other EULA terms were adhered to.

Worst case scenario, you dual boot or use something like Parallels and take a small performance hit.

Collapse -
thanks
by marcelomdsc / June 6, 2008 6:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Ask Adobe

I will. I don't think the dual boot thing is a solution as that would be a major pain in the &*$%^, but parallels might work. Do you know of someone that uses it to run the adobe software?

Collapse -
Bootcamp vs Parallels
by edworthy85 / June 6, 2008 12:29 PM PDT

Hi there,

I'm a designer making the move to Mac from PC. I use the Adobe programs a lot, but also 3d studio max (purely windows based). I've looked into Parallels or just booting into windows via Bootcamp and I'd have to say that even though it may be slightly inconvenient at times, the Bootcamp option seems the best. There is no performance hit. Apparently with Parallels it takes up about 20-30% of your processor time just by being on without programs running, and depending on what you use your Windows program for, you may want the system running at full spec, so I'd head down the Bootcamp route. Annoying, I know, but it all boils down to how much you need all your computer's power.

Collapse -
well...
by marcelomdsc / June 6, 2008 1:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Bootcamp vs Parallels

first of if it came down to that i would still go with parallels, cause bootcamp is too much stuff to go through, I would actually rather just stay with pc's.

The good news is that I called adobe this afternoon and they said there is no problem i can just do what they call "a cross platform upgrade" and i can just get the mac version of the suite for free!

awesome!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!