General discussion

Mac Mini/Samsung UN55B7000 compatibility

Purchased a Mac Mini to be able to surf the web using the Samsung 7000 as the monitor. Hooked everything up. It all worked fine when fired up. Got right in to my email with no problem. It was a good display on the screen. After attempting to increase the image size, I got a black screen with a message that this is an incompatible signal. I have been unable to display anything since. Obviously with no display, this computer hookup is dead in the water. Help!?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Mac Mini/Samsung UN55B7000 compatibility
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Mac Mini/Samsung UN55B7000 compatibility
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Mac Mini/Samsung UN55B7000 compatibility

What resolution did you change it to, and does the TV support it?

Some Operating Systems have the option of changing back automatically after 15 seconds if the new resolution doesn't work and no keyboard input is given. Is that not the case with Macs?

--HDTech

- Collapse -
Mini vs Samsung

The Samsung is at 1280x720. The Mini supports 1080 on down. The thing that makes it so odd is that the Mini fired up just fine and then when we dropped down on the Mini resolution, I got the black screen. The bad part is that the Samsung is the "monitor". So, if it is black, I am screenless and I can't see to change anything on the Mini. I have check the web and I think this Samsung will support the Mini.

- Collapse -
Mini vs Samsung

The optimum resolution is listed as 1920x1080 @60Hz, and may support some - but not all - resolutions.

It will support HDMI and PC inputs.

Is there an option to go back to the previous settings without having to use a monitor? The only suggestion I can make is to use a different monitor and change the setting back to the optimum resolution, or use a monitor to test which resolutions work.

I wish I had a better solution, but apparently once the resolution changes, that's that. One option to try is to use Windows within the machine (if you have it) to change the settings, because it will give a 15 second revert if you don't click "YES" to the "Would you like to change back to the previous setting" prompt.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
Samsung vs Mini

I've been here thinking about it and finding a monitor in the AM seems to be the best bet. I can switch back and fourth until I get this nut cracked. For the brief time it worked....before I changed the settings, it looked ok. This really is a pain though. The manual does say a Mac will work. We'll see.

I really appreciate your helpful words. You asking about the settings got me thinking in the correct way. I'll let you know how this goes.

- Collapse -
Samsung vs Mini

I look forward to your response. It may allow me to help others in a similar situation, and provide valuable feedback for future models.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
Samsung vs Mini

Hi,

I sat down today and set up another monitor on the floor in front of the TV. I could switch back and forth between the systems. Looked like mission control. I did find what resolution Samsung is set to use. It is very frustrating. I first time I fired up the system I got right in and accessed my email no problem. Today, I went through the 16 differing resolutions that have been programed in to the Mac Mini. Four of the settings booted up and went through the start sequences. As soon as the main page lit up the computer went to black screen with the following message:

Mode not supported
The resolution is not supported in this TV. Please change the resolution.

I looks like while Samsung talks about Mac in its' manual, it reallly is not a Mac machine. The converse is that Mac seems not to be a Samsung machine.

I think that I am through. I am going to the Mac geeks and see what they have to offer. But, 1920 x 1080 is a resolution conspicuous by not being a choice. Wanna buy a new Mac Mini?

Thanks for your suggestions.

- Collapse -
Mac Mini
- Collapse -
samsung vs Mini

Sorry. I am using DVI/HDMI. Unfortunately, 1920/1080 is not one of the settings listed in this Mac. There is a VGA port on the TV as well as four HDMI ports. Since I do not have a VGA cable, I have not attempted that approach. But, it seems that I just can't get there from here. Everything works just fine alone. They just do not make music together.

- Collapse -
DVI

There are some support links on the Apple site that mention the need for a dual-link DVI adaptor to run higher resolutions, though above 1920x1200. A single DVI link should cope with the TV's native resolution, provided the frequency is not set above 60Hz.

If you have this problem again, it may be possible to fix it without a second monitor
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2213?viewlocale=en_US

VGA cables can be picked up quite cheaply, though maybe you need another adaptor for the Mac.

- Collapse -
samsung vs mac mini

I have the adapter, things are set up. 1080p @ 60 hz and everything is working. Now I need to get familiar with the new software. So this seems to be a done deal.

Thanks for the help.

CNET Forums

Forum Info