Mac Desktops forum

Question

Mac Mini off Cowboom-no OS

by brandonbecker0728 / May 30, 2012 2:22 PM PDT

How hard is it to put an OS onto a MacMini I'm looking to purchase off of Cowboom. Its a mid-2007 MB138LL/A. I guess I need to know which OS I can install and is it as easy as putting the disc/thumb drive in? Thanks in advance. The mini has 4gb--assuming it has been wiped clean.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mac Mini off Cowboom-no OS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mac Mini off Cowboom-no OS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It is generally as easy as putting in the DVD,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 30, 2012 9:59 PM PDT

but, you also need a copy of Mac OS X.
You'll need 10.3 or 10.4 for that machine.

Only a 4Gb drive? Sounds a little small for a 2007 Mac Mini.
That machine came in two versions, 1.83 and 2.0 GHZ with an 80GB or 120GB hard drive.

Not only has the drive been wiped clean, it has been replaced.!

Original OS version was 10.4

Be careful!

P

Collapse -
Sorry-should have been more specific--
by brandonbecker0728 / May 31, 2012 6:10 AM PDT

The specs are 1.83GHz 4GB 200GB DVD/CDRW. So I would have to get a hold of a copy of 10.4--install that first THEN upgrade to snow leopard or lion? Sorry--I want to make sure I do this the right way before I start putting this together. I was hoping to install Snow Leopard or Lion without having to install 10.4....if there is no OS on the machine--maybe that's me being a newbie at this. Thank you in advance.

Collapse -
I very much doubt you are going to
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 31, 2012 6:59 AM PDT

Lion with this machine.
Not enough legs for Lion and possibly sluggish performance with Snow Leopard
10.4.11 or 10.5 is about as far as you can comfortably go.

It is an old machine.

P

Collapse -
Thank you for your help--
by brandonbecker0728 / May 31, 2012 9:33 AM PDT

The goal with this machine is to use it as a media center--play dvd's, listen to music and watch Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime. I'm not going to be running any heavy applications on it--use safari from time to time--store photos/music etc. If I buy Snow Leopard--a wireless keyboard--wireless mouse--would it be worth my sub 300$ investment or should I pack it up and ship it back?

Collapse -
You "might" get Snow Leopard to install
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 31, 2012 9:55 PM PDT

on that machine. Sometimes it is a crap shoot as to whether SL will install without Leopard being present.

Go with a generic USB keyboard and mouse, to minimize expense until you know that SL is installed.
Then switch to wireless if you want to.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!