Mac Desktops forum

Question

Mac Mini 2010 RAM upgrade. 1 module ok ?

by nashonashonasho / June 22, 2011 2:59 PM PDT

Hi ,

I bought today one 4GB DDR3 1333 MHz memory module.

I was told that 1333 instead of 1066 MHz is OK because the ram will just run slower..

But is it OK to have only one RAM module ? Or shall I keep one of the original 1GB module in there? (to make a total of 5 GB).

Reason I'm thinking of going 4GB instead of 5GB is that I heard that the mini is not good beyond 4GB . Is this true ?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mac Mini 2010 RAM upgrade. 1 module ok ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mac Mini 2010 RAM upgrade. 1 module ok ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Memory modules are usually installed in matching pairs,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 22, 2011 9:59 PM PDT

2 X 2GB to give you 4GB

Collapse -
Answer
It should work
by Jimmy Greystone / June 22, 2011 11:08 PM PDT

It should work. The matched pairs thing is more of a best practices thing these days, it's not really required like it used to be. It does impact dual channel memory operation, and you will most likely lose out on that particular feature if you go with a 1x4GB 1x1GB setup, but I would expect that the performance boost from the extra RAM would more than compensate now that the system doesn't have to hit the HDD as often. Dual and even triple channel memory have long been solutions in desperate search of a problem anyway. On a Mac Pro you might notice the performance difference, but I doubt you'd ever be able to tell on a Mini.

I'm too lazy to look up what the max amount of RAM for the 2010 Mini is, but suffice it to say that one of three things will happen:

1: It works exactly like you hope, you see 5GB of RAM when you go to About This Mac
2: That 1GB module is ignored, and you only have 4GB of RAM
3: The system will not boot until you remove one of the modules

Fortunately the new Minis have a very easy to access design, unlike all previous models that required some careful putty knife work. If you run into situation #3, it's pretty quick and easy to open it back up and remove one of the modules.

Collapse -
Answer
Max RAM on the 2010 Mini is;
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 23, 2011 12:38 AM PDT

2GB (two 1GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 8GB

direct from the Apple tech specs page

you just may be in luck with the 5GB

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.