Mac OS forum

General discussion

Mac keeps asking to be restarted.

by d_manu / December 1, 2009 12:40 PM PST

For some reason for the last day or 2, my imac screen will be filled with a shaded transparent screen with a message saying something along the lines that i must restart my computer. my system is the Mac OS X leopard 10.5.8.
It will happen at random times, sometimes it will take an hour, sometimes couple of minutes. Most times it happenes right when i click on say a file or a link or anything. But still happens when nothing is clicked or anything.
Any ideas whats going on? anyone had this problem?
Any feedback will be much appreciated.

cheers dan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mac keeps asking to be restarted.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mac keeps asking to be restarted.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Kernal Panic
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 1, 2009 8:59 PM PST

Have you installed anything new in there, like RAM?

RAM is one of the major causes of this screen.

Lacking details as to what Mac you have does not help the troubleshooting process.

If you installed 3rd party RAM, remove it and put the original back in.

P

Collapse -
by d_manu / December 2, 2009 9:35 AM PST
In reply to: Kernal Panic

Model is:
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac9,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2

I havnt installed anything new at all. Funnily enough it has stoped happeneding for last 12 or so hours at least. still was strange, hopefully doesnt begin again.

Collapse -
Kernal panic
by onemoremile / December 5, 2009 5:47 AM PST
In reply to: 1

Is your Mac still under warranty? Judging from the processor, it must be pretty new. I have been through an increasing number of kernal panics, at irregular intervals, in the past. Unfortunately, my machine needed to go into the shop and have the logic board replaced. Apple did this repair under my Apple Care warranty.

If the behavior persists, you may want to try reinstalling the operating system. That was one of the first fixes that the Apple tech had me try. Be sure to back up your hard drive before you start this operation. If you have been using Time Machine, click on the icon and make sure that you have a few recent backups, then put the OSX disc into your machine and follow the on-screen prompts. Good luck!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?