Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Mac in car

I am a hospice chaplain and I am looking for a program and hardware to use to track my mileage and visitations. It needs to tell me where I've been, for how long and how many miles it took to get me there. I also want to be able to get directions to the addresses that I have to visit.

i also want to be able to submit reports (mileage and visitation notes) to the home office via a laptop in my car (or from my house office).

I also plan to use my computer to edit video and audio for worship services. I am curently usinf Primere Pro and Sonar but could be convinced to make changes.

Can you help me decide what software and hardware to purchase?

Jonathan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mac in car
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mac in car
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Equipment

In reply to: Mac in car

I waited for a while to see if anyone else would respond to your question, but I guess you will have to put up with me.
So, a MacPro laptop would suit your needs but if you need to do all that stuff in the vehicle you will need some sort of Broadband wireless coverage. Something like the service that Cingular or Verizon offers.
Tracking visits, mileage and times could easily be recorded on a spreadsheet. Appleworks includes one but this is no longer bundled with a new Mac. It is available as a separate purchase though. $75 (ish)Excel is also a possibility, part of Office 2004 for Mac. (Expensive)
Driving directions can be had at places like MapQuest, on the internet, via your Wireless Broadband access and the Safari web browser.
For Video and Audio, the Mac comes with iLife. A suite of integrated programs, iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie(HD) and iDVD that should suit your purpose.

Hope this helps

P

Collapse -
GPS

In reply to: Mac in car

I would think that some sort of GPS hardware/software combo would cover most of it.
I have a hand-held Garmin e-trex that does amazing things, and I've seen Mac software for linking it to a computer in the ways you describe, but I've never tried it.
On it's own, it will track 12 Sats, is accurate to 7' on a good day, and 20' on a bad one.

It has roadmaps of the USA, detailed enough that the cul de sac I live on is in it.
It will store 250 waypoints (remember this spot)
Thousands of miles of tracks (how I got there)
Of course, it has a track back function.
As a trip computer it will give constantly updated numbers for
Speed
Trip time
Moving time
Stopped time
Ave. Moving Speed
Overall average Speed
Top Speed
ETA
ATA
Distance made good
Distance to destination
Closing speed
Trip odometer
Altitude
Vertical speed
Time (accurate to 1/60th of a second, self setting)
Sunrise
Sunset
Gas stations
etc
etc
etc.
It runs on 2 AA batteries, or a cigarette plug.
It's the size of an average cell phone.
Mine does not do addresses. Others do.

Mine is 3 years old. the new ones have more features & better price, as you would expect.

If it did addresses and the paperwork, it would be perfect for you, all by itself.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you need a GPS that plugs into your laptop with some logging software. There are lot's of options & price points setting it up, but that's where my knowledge runs out.

I can tell you that Garmin makes good stuff (I've had three), and you can buy them at Fry's, Circuit City, Best Buy, etc.

Hope this helps,

Lampie the Clown

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.