Mac Desktops forum

General discussion

Mac G4 766 with raid set won't start

by Stind / August 7, 2010 12:09 AM PDT

Hello cnet users!

Im experiencing a problem with my G4 Quicksilver 766 MHz as it wont start up. I believe the OS is 10.3

The Mac has two 40GB drives set up in OS as a raid set.

On start up i get the "You need to restart your computer" kernel error screen. I have replaced the PRAM battery and resat the PRAM.

Starting with the option key pressed, i get to select RAID Set 1 1 or Raid Set 1 2 - 1 2 appears first/left, 1 1 second/right. When try to start from 1 1 i get a white screen with a black box. When starting from 1 2 i get the "You need to restart your computer..." screen.

I have another HD with OS 10.3 installed, and when swopping the Raid Set with this disk, the Mac starts up.

Naturally I have important data on the Raid Set Sad

Any help and suggestions are very welcome and needed

Peter Stind (in sommerly Denmark)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mac G4 766 with raid set won't start
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mac G4 766 with raid set won't start
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like
by Jimmy Greystone / August 7, 2010 12:44 AM PDT

Sounds like some program or recent change to your RAID setup corrupted the OS on those drives.

So if possible, I'd say use the working drive to get the data off the RAID setup, and then blow it away and reinstall the OS. Also to let this be a lesson on the value of a good backup routine.

Collapse -
But what to do...
by Stind / August 7, 2010 1:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Sounds like

Thank you Jimmy!

When i start on the working HD both drives in the Raid Set come up ad unreadebla to OS. When trying to mount the drives in Disk Utility nothing happens, and i cant choose "verify" either. Is the data on the Raid Set accessable with a data rescue tool, or are the files because of the Raid not readeble as files?

Thanks, Peter

Collapse -
Such is the problem
by Jimmy Greystone / August 7, 2010 2:28 AM PDT
In reply to: But what to do...

Such is the problem with RAID arrays. Especially RAID 0 setups. At this point the data may well be lost unless you're willing to fork over the cash for professional recovery services.

What you need to try and do, is mount the drives as an array, and if you can't do that, pay someone who can or just write off the files on the drive you want.

Collapse -
Problem solved!
by Stind / August 8, 2010 8:58 AM PDT

Firstly a correction - my G4 is the 867 MHz - not 766.

Secondly - the good news - all date has been retrieved using Data Rescue II - less than four hours for both drives. Could have been a lot worse.

Jimmy - I have a few comments for you. Honestly, you didn't offer much help, but instead it seems like you just wanted to rant about not having proper back-up routines - and completely discourage any attempt to rescue the data - just write it off or send the drives to a data recovery firm. Do you run such a firm?? And you completely failed to give any advice on what could be the cause for the Mac not starting properly. Help should be positive, not hostile. Your attitude serves no-one, and any forum would be better off with not having "contributions" from people like you.

I have had success with Data Rescue II before - and this once again shows that this software is highly recommendable.

Collapse -
Well
by Jimmy Greystone / August 8, 2010 1:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Problem solved!

Well, I've come to learn over the years that sometimes you need to let children burn their hands on a stove so they learn why you don't touch hot things. Trying to be nice to people all the time isn't always the most effective, and is rarely the most efficient, method of getting the point across.

I've found that if you're nice to people, holding their hands the whole time, all you really tend to end up doing is teaching those people to come running to you every time they have a problem. They never learn to do for themselves, instead they rely on others. It's called learned helplessness, and I want no part of it. My aim is to teach people how to help themselves, not be your friend, hold your hand, or anything like that.

Think of me more like a drill instructor. I am not your friend, I am not your therapist, and I am not your butler. My job is to prepare you for what is to come. There won't always be somewhere there to pull your feet out of the fire, so you need to learn how to stand on your own.

I could politely tell you time after time after time after time after time... after time... The importance of a backup solution. Until it actually happens that you've lost data, or are faced with the very real possibility of losing data, that point never really gets driven home. I'm betting you'll never go without a backup again after this ordeal.

Many years ago, in another lifetime, I worked at a McDonalds and was a trainer. Everyone absolutely hated the way I trained them, but all of my "students" were among the best at those jobs.

And no, I don't run a recovery services firm, nor do I work for one now or at any point in the past. If I did, don't you think I might have "suggested" the name of a good place to send it? If you're going to make a baseless accusation like that, let's at least put a modicum of thought into it first.

Finally, this is an all-volunteer forum. I come here to offer my time and expertise freely. And even if I didn't, it's a FREE service, yet you still have the gall to complain about it. The nerve, or downright ARROGANCE, to think that YOU actually DESERVE some kind of preferential treatment. You're not even PAYING for it. The narcissistic arrogance of that just makes me weep for the future you (and to be fair, plenty of others) represent. You don't like the advice I give, you're free to shop around.

And before anyone bothers to ask, yes, I actually practice what I preach. I try and make it a point to be exceedingly courteous to customer service people. I recognize that their day is generally spent with people who whine and generally think that they are the center of the universe and the company the CS rep should feel honored that this person buys one or two things a year from the place. And cheap things too, not big ticket items with a fat profit margin. I always make a point to thank the person, and try to make the transaction as smooth as possible for them. I know if I had their job, by the end of any given day, I'd probably be giving serious thought to a tri-state killing spree. So I do my small part to try and make it that much easier. By the time I pick up the phone, I generally have already worked out that it's some issue I can't resolve on my own, and have a pretty good idea of what is a reasonable expectation of them. I don't raise my voice, I don't hurl insults, I say please and thank you, and I don't blame them for stupid policies they have to follow and have no control over. It may not be much in the grand scheme of things, but it's all I have to offer.

In any case, I'd suggest dismounting that high horse of yours for a time. This is a free service essentially run by a group of volunteers. Be grateful anyone comes here to answer your question at all, rather than complaining about the answer you got. Think about things from my perspective for a bit, and then tell me you wouldn't be a bit miffed over your comments.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?