Mac OS forum

General discussion

Mac freezes for a minute or more when switching users

by snoblenet / December 1, 2009 5:31 AM PST

We are on Mac OS X 10.5.8. My user account is fine. My wife's is fine, except that when she switches to it, the Mac freezes for a minute of more.

I have told Mail to check her email account manually. I have established that iCal is not synced to an online resource and, as far as I am aware, no other apps are either.

If I could, I'd look at Activity Monitor to see what processes were hogging the CPU or network ports, but as the Mac has frozen I can't.

Is there some other way of determining what's causing the problem?

I'd rather exhaust all possibilities before I try creating a new user account for her that might end up replicating the problem anyway.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mac freezes for a minute or more when switching users
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mac freezes for a minute or more when switching users
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Log in and out or Fast User Switching?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 1, 2009 5:56 AM PST
Collapse -
Fast user switching...
by snoblenet / December 1, 2009 10:02 AM PST

...is the answer.

Collapse -
Could be a RAM problem
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 1, 2009 10:05 AM PST
In reply to: Fast user switching...

how is it when you log of and get the other person to log on?

P

Collapse -
more on Fast User switching
by snoblenet / December 1, 2009 10:24 AM PST
In reply to: Could be a RAM problem

More often that not, all three user accounts (mine, my wife's, our eldest son's) are open, but one of us is waking the Mac from sleep to log into their own account. Does that still count as fast user switching? Do you want my wife to try logging into our two accounts, shutting them both down, then logging into her own to see if that last step then becomes quicker? Strange that a RAM issue would affect her account but not ours.

Collapse -
Fast user switching
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 1, 2009 8:48 PM PST

enables a number of users to use the computer without the previous user actually logging out. Apple Menu > Log out.
The fast user switch occurs with a dramatic rotation of the screen, a slick effect. Be warned that each user logged into a system eats up memory and the more applications open for each user, the more likely the system will swap stuff into virtual memory and system performance will suffer. If there are 3 users currently on the computer, ALL of those accounts and the applications that they were running, are still active and consuming RAM.

Instead of just walking away from the computer when a user has finished with it, get them to log out and see if things return to normal. Unless, of course, this is what you are actually doing right now.

P

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!