General discussion

mac filtering and my laptop

hi guys I have a d-link dir-615 and 4 PCs in my house, now since my house is 3 floors im not going to wire all of them to the internet. So i set up a simple network at first securing my network with wpa2 and it worked fine then my dad wanted to put mac filtering on so i set it up and all my computers connect and can use the internet including my laptop, but at random times my laptop can connect to the network but can't access the internet. when i restart the wireless adapter it will eventually get back online, but can anyone tell me whats wrong? how come i can't go online sometimes? my laptop is a hp dv6000 im running windows 7 32-bit.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: mac filtering and my laptop
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: mac filtering and my laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Turn off MAC filtering and see if the problem goes away

If not, you keep troubleshooting. The general advice here has been that MAC filtering isn't effective anyway as those bent on stealing your connection have simple spoofing tricks in their burglary bags.

- Collapse -
off with mac filtering

Think you right. I actually have tried this and its the only thing that work once filtering is off it connects fine. I think it keeps dropping the connection when the adapter checks the mac addresses, but try to explain that to the parents my dad thinks everything will get stolen if he turns of mac filtering although we also have WPA 2

- Collapse -
WPA 2 is great stuff.

And MAC filtering is considered by most as no added security so stick with WPA 2 since it works.

Sorry but I don't have an answer to those that think MAC filtering works.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info