Mac OS forum

General discussion

Mac compatible PDA

by eltoombs / September 8, 2006 12:47 AM PDT

I'm looking for a Mac compatible PDA for OS 10.3.9 with capabilities for cell phone, web browsing, e-mail, office (word, power point) and music, video in that order.

Help???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mac compatible PDA
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mac compatible PDA
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
See if that shows up next week.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2006 12:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Mac compatible PDA

Apple's rolling out some new items then.

Bob

Collapse -
Only hope is Apple availability?
by Kiddpeat / September 11, 2006 5:11 AM PDT

No one else's hardware works?

Just killing time here waiting for class. Of course, the Mac I sat down at was totally hung, and wouldn't respond to anything. It was necessary to press the power switch for 5-10 seconds to get it to shut down. The machine next to me also wouldn't respond, and the prof told the student it needed to be shut down as I described.

Highly amused by this 'technology'. The last time I did that on my PC (several years ago), the hard drive heads crashed. I have since learned that PCs don't require such manuevers anymore. I guess Macs still do.

Collapse -
Maybe so.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2006 5:22 AM PDT

The list of features doesn't match anything I see today.

Bob

Collapse -
This happens
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 11, 2006 6:06 AM PDT

on a regular basis in our PC centric establishment.

Machine refusing to do anything, just waiting for the 5 second push.

P

Collapse -
It happens on my PCs about once every five years with the
by Kiddpeat / September 11, 2006 9:31 AM PDT
In reply to: This happens

time between incidents increasing.

On a PC, it's the user prematurely pulling the plug (so to speak). If I give the PC a few minutes to get through its stack of work, it comes back without a problem. It was a Eureka moment when I discovered that. It wasn't crashed at all.

Collapse -
Not Accurate
by gilbertwhite1 / September 11, 2006 8:09 AM PDT

My win XP SP2 does at time freeze and I cant even get to anything to shut down the "stuck application"..At least the Mac has a way to shut down system via the powerswitch. I eventually gave up on the PC and just powered it off via power switch "ac type", not the Sony Computer. Not exactly an Acer or "generic pile" of hardware. This just slays me, going out and buying something without thinking of compatibility with the "big ticket item" ie puter?

Collapse -
I guess you are looking over my shoulder then?
by Kiddpeat / September 11, 2006 9:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Not Accurate

I'm sure a good Mac person would not say I'm being less than truthful.

As I said above, I have found that in most cases the PC is not hung at all. It is simply working its way through a big stack of work. My PC will shut down if you press the 'on' button for 5-10 seconds. You can also cut the power in the back.

I guess with a PC, you don't have to think about compatability very much. Everything except, perhaps, the specifically Mac centric stuff pretty much 'just works' these days.

Wink

Collapse -
Speaking of lockups
by saywhatnow / September 11, 2006 10:21 AM PDT

I was in my local library last week and of course, all 6 of their windows machines was locked up.

Suppose if you leave any machine out for long enough, for enough people to abuse, it will fail and lock up. Lab, Library, School, it's all the same.

Collapse -
That's really unusual. I'm in a college library fairly often
by Kiddpeat / September 11, 2006 11:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Speaking of lockups

and a research library somewhat less often. They all have Windows machines, and I've never seen one that's locked up. Perhaps you've got mischievous people in your library.

These particular machines had been on for about 6 hours. Is that a long time for a Mac to be on before it hangs? Oh, and the machines I was on are in a restricted area. They are not open to the public, and they are not abused.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Let's not feed the trolls
by innocent_bystander / September 11, 2006 9:55 PM PDT
Collapse -
Me too.
by fearhopelove / October 2, 2007 6:26 AM PDT

I guess that's why professionals in film, music, and design industries exclusively use Mac.

Windows machines are constantly replaced on my campus due to viruses, lock ups, and hardware failure. The Mac's are only replaced to keep up with demands of newer software which is less frequent.

I sit on my iMac G5 I bought in 2004 calm and cool while I hear my bro regularly ***** while on his brand new HP desktop due to frustration of it's lockups, especially Word. PC's are only superior for games. But when I need work done, I only use my Mac...even if it's several years old.

So actually, maybe THAT is why professionals in film, music, and design industries exclusively use Mac.

Wink

Collapse -
ReF: PDA
by jimbrent / September 11, 2006 6:32 AM PDT

I was a long time Windows user and switched to iMAC in May. I have a Dell Axim x5 which ran Address Book, Calendar Tasks, To Do List, has WMP Word, Excel. It has the ability to do email and web browsing which I never used. No video.

You can get a sync program for MAC from www.MarkSpace.com for $24.95 that allows me to connect the PDA to the Mac. I believe they have version for cell phones to, but the version I got was the Missing Sync for Palm OS and it is working as will as it did with Windows. I'm running OS 10.4.7 so you would have to check on you system to see if its available for that, I don't remember.

Hope that's helps.
Jim

Collapse -
Adding video to your x5 might be done this way.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2006 6:59 AM PDT
In reply to: ReF: PDA
Collapse -
Not too be an Apple loyalist or anything but
by tleMega / October 2, 2007 11:35 AM PDT

the Touch works like a PDA, so long as you have access to Wi-Fi. I am able to go online and send emails with it and post here, even though it may take some time getting used to...

No phone like its older brother, but I feel that the iPod part is quite extraordinary. Maybe it's just me, but it works better than the iPhones that I have used at my Apple Store. Maybe not... In short, the newer iPods can be synced with all of your things on a Mac. In a way, they ARE suped-up PDA's with incredible entertainment capabilities.

HP rolled out the iPaqs again, and if you use Sprint or Verizon, new Blackberry Pearls are coming out soon. If you need all of that in one device and a phone, get the iPhone, a Treo, or a Blackberry. Treos work on Linux, and they work with iSync. Have a go at it mate! Take your pick.

-BMF

Collapse -
(NT) iPhone?!
by Me, Myself and You / October 2, 2007 6:42 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?