Mac OS forum

General discussion

mac compatible image formats?

by madmatt721 / April 11, 2006 7:53 AM PDT

hello,

I am using a PC but I need to have a Mac-compatible image on CD to submit to a publisher. I'm using Photoshop 7.

What I need to know is whether or not my disk will be readable on a Mac. I saved the image as a TIFF file and checked 'Macintosh' under 'byte order'. Then I used Roxio Easy Media Creator to burn it to a CD.

Is there something else I need to do or will this work? I don't know anyone with a Mac and they don't seem to rent them out anywhere. Even if they did, I am unfamiliar with how to use one.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. : )

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: mac compatible image formats?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: mac compatible image formats?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No problem
by simoncroft / April 11, 2006 8:13 AM PDT

You should have no problem there. PhotoShop on a Mac should read any image file you can create on a PC.

The biggest problem we in the publishing community have with submitted image files isn't the format, it's the resolution. People sometimes send in images at 72dpi without realising that commercial print requires 300dpi. So your image needs to be about 1,000 pixels across just to fill two columns of a newspaper.

Collapse -
Yep
by lampietheclown / April 11, 2006 10:46 AM PDT

Photoshop shouldn't be required.

Macs can open PC formated CDs, and Quicktime can open TIFF files.

Do make em high res. though.

Lampie

Collapse -
Another recommendation is to send the files as universal
by taboma / April 11, 2006 2:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Yep

to any commercial printer on a CD or DVD. ISO9060. The file is universal and can be read from the PC and Mac platform and others. Roxio Toast has that feature of saving files to be sent out in different formats.
After sending out the files a a JPEG, your printer will be able to do a save as and rename the files as a CMYK file. Cyanne, Majenta, Yellow & Black which is a four-color process needed for commercial printing or as black and white, depending on the job.
A typical JPEG file is RGB (Red, Green and Blue) which is nice to view as a photo file. Not however for a commercial print job.

Lampie was correct to recommend 300 resolution.
Your commercial printer will than adjust the res to the print job.
Could go down lower depending on the screen selected to print the job.
Standard in printing at dots per inch is to have the resolution at double.
If Lampie was printing your job at 150 DPI than your files should be saved at 300 resolution.
A newspaper is usually printed at 85 lines per inch and the file would be saved at 170 resolution (two times the lines per inch).

Whatever you do, do not send you files out as Simon has cautioned you at low res (70 res). You will only receive a call from the commercial printer asking you to resend all the files at the proper resolution.

Just make sure you always do a save-as from the original file. If at a later date you decide to print a really slick job, you will have the original file to save as a 300 res.
Another area where you want to note is the original file sent to the commercial printer can only be increased 115%. Anything above that percentage will be a visual mush. Yuk!!

-Kevin

Collapse -
CD Burning
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 12, 2006 12:05 AM PDT

While Roxio EZ CD creator is a decent program for the Win side of the house, it does have a couple of annoying quirks that make it behave nastily.
1. When a user inserts a blank CD into the burner and launches CD Creator, the default option asks if you want to format this CD. This allows total drag and drop with the CD acting as a mapped drive. While this is quite neat, the CD is unreadable by anyone who does not have Roxio EZ CD Creator installed. This includes all Macs and any Winbox without a CD burner. Avoid this method.
2. Another default setting allows the creation of "Sessions" which means that the disk can be used over and over until full. Another neat feature but this makes the CD unreadable by some CD players.
When you absolutely, positively, have to have others read the CD, make sure that you Finalize the disk. This prevents any further writing to the disk but makes it readable by everyone.

The best option to use in EZ is the "Make a data disk" option.

Don't mean to teach you how to suck eggs but those two problems have kept me busy for some time at work

P

Collapse -
thanks
by madmatt721 / April 13, 2006 7:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Yep

The resolution isn't a problem. The image is 300 ppi.
: )

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.