Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Mac compatible camcorders

Hi. I am searching for a Mac compatible camcorder that I can use to video my daughters gymnastics competitions and workouts. I would like to be able to upload these videos to my mac and edit them if necessary. Can anyone help with advice on which camcorders are compatible. I went to Circuit City and the ones that have Mac software are JVC's which the salesperson said did not give good quality video. I would appreciate any ideas you may have. I need to get this video camera before Jan. 12, 07.
Thanks.
Lynne

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mac compatible camcorders
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mac compatible camcorders
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
About that JVC.

In reply to: Mac compatible camcorders

My kid has the gr800 or such JVC. Great video. With firewire the quality is great but most cameras come with USB connections which has many complaining about the quality.

Bottomline? Most firewire capable miniDV camcorders will work with your Mac. Next time supply a specific model number to check. It would overwhelm this small box to list them all.

Bob

Collapse -
You said...

In reply to: Mac compatible camcorders

... "I went to Circuit City and the ones that have Mac software are JVC's"...

Before you do anything, please tell us which Macintosh are you using. If you got it in the last 3-4 years (I *think*) it came bundled with iMovie and iDVD which will take care of the import, editing and output to DVD (or back to the camera if you want). It also came bundled with iPhoto which would take care of any still photos you might need to address. And FireWire is already part of the hardware...

Bob's right - pretty much any camcorder with a FireWire connection. This is also known as DV, IEEE1394 or iLink. I have have successfully transferred video from a Sony HDR-HC1, a Sony HDR-FX1, Canon Elura 60, and a Panasonic (I forget the model) over FireWire... using the bundled iMovie...

And your sales person is correct... JVC's not so good. If your Mac is relatively new, you don't need to worry about the software in the box. Keep your sights on Sony, Canon, Panasonic - likely miniDV tape based - camcorders... but please tell us the Mac you are using first...

Collapse -
Looking for software

In reply to: You said...

I recently purchased the Sony DCR-SR40 hard drive based camcorder. Come to find out, it's not compatible with my IMAC Intel Core Duo. There is Pixela software for MAC computers but is also not compatible with the Intel Core Duo processor. I called Sony customer service and the guy told me to try DivX codec software. I downloaded it but would not transfer video taken from my camcorder. I've pretty much ran out of solutions. I'm hoping you could help me out with this. Thanks!

Collapse -
iLife Community Discussions at apple.com

In reply to: Looking for software

Collapse -
Another solution is VLCPLAYER.

In reply to: iLife Community Discussions at apple.com

One could transcode the content.

bob

Collapse -
Can I get my Sony handycam DCR-HC28 to hook up to my macmini

In reply to: You said...

I just got a 2009 Mac Mini and I want to hook my Sony DCR-HC28 to it via a fire wire connection. I bought the fire Wire cable from mac and I connected the cam corder to the mac mini but it won't show that any connection has been made on my mac mini. A guy on this blog said that any sony camcorder can connect to a mac via a firewire. Is there anything I should do to try and make the connection before I go out and buy a new camcorder?

Collapse -
I have been using Sony, Canon, Panasonic and JVC

In reply to: Can I get my Sony handycam DCR-HC28 to hook up to my macmini

camcorders on Mac for years.

What are you expecting in the way of a "connection to show"?

When you connect the miniDV tape based Sony DCR-HC28's DV port to a Macintosh's firewire port and the HC28 is on and in "Play" mode, nothing will "show up".

Launch iMovie, name the project file, select the destination on the hard drive be sure DV is selected and click on Create. The iMovie project window will open. It may go straight to the Import window... If not, under File, select Import from camera...

Have you gone through any of the tutorials? They are very helpful.

Collapse -
Sony video camera doesn't work with my Mac!

In reply to: I have been using Sony, Canon, Panasonic and JVC

After my beloved fire wire Sony mini digital video camera died, I bought a Sony SX44. This Sony camera uses a USB connector and memory card, no tapes. It doesn't work with my Mac 10.4.11 Intel Tiger system! Will it work if I upgrade to Snow Leopard and use my external drive to save the movies I love to make and edit?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!