PC Hardware forum

General discussion

mac builds

by ozos / June 24, 2004 9:19 AM PDT

I have an interesting question that i know is misplaced on this fourm.
my question pertains to the PowerPC G4/G5 series computers from Apple.
i know that you can purchase almost all the hardware needed to build these machines, but i am wondering where or how do i get things such as the motherboard, ram (if anything special is needed), hard disk (if anything special is needed) etc. etc. etc.
i am just wondering if buying all the raw components and custom building a mac, just like a lot of people do with the Linux or Windows PC's of today.
i built my PC, now i kind of want a new challenge.
any advice on getting this hardware
thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: mac builds
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: mac builds
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: mac builds
by JMarchi / June 24, 2004 10:52 PM PDT
In reply to: mac builds

You are barking up the wrong tree. You want to build a system you build a PC, you want a Mac and you buy a Mac from Apple. There are no 3rd party options for Mac, There are no "built it myself" options for the mac. Apple makes their huge profit and keeps it all by preventing anyone from making clones.

Collapse -
by rhyvun / June 25, 2004 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: mac builds

JMarchi is it illegal to build your own mac? Just curious cause I know next to nothing about them lol.
But I do know of people makign their own clones.
I'll say no more just in case.

Collapse -
by ozos / June 25, 2004 11:54 AM PDT

really, where do they get their parts?

Collapse -
Currently...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2004 1:25 PM PDT

Apple appears to be getting the CPU from an IBM fab line. Apple subcontracts out the build of the machines to various companies and the firmware or "BIOS" is only available internally. That is, only Apple has the BIOS to make it all work.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Currently...
by ozos / June 26, 2004 11:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Currently...

so there isn't really a way to do it, unless i worked for apple.
and its impossible to load Mac OS 9 or OS X onto an Intel or AMD based system?

Collapse -
by JMarchi / June 27, 2004 3:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Currently...

Now you understand, no options, buy from them and pay into their huge profit margin, or go with a PC. You can't buy parts to build a Mac computer from anyone but Apple, and they don't sell parts.

For a couple of years there were Mac clones, but then Apple decided to withdraw their support and killed them all.

After working on a LOT of client's Macs, seeing the huge prices for software and the lack of easy problem resolution I would never consider using one for my own work.

Collapse -
by ozos / June 27, 2004 8:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Currently...

another question about macs is this, why does everyone say macs have better graphics, the only graphics cards they support cost 10x normal PC price and don't seem to touch the current top end pc cards (next gen from nVidia ATi, such as X800 XT or 6800 Ultra) so does mac have excelerated features or is it that they used to have graphics advantage, and now its just a myth?

Collapse -
Beauty or myth?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 27, 2004 8:29 AM PDT
In reply to: mac builds

As to graphics, the issue is very simple. XP rolled out years ago and Microsoft doesn't invest as much in the graphics user interface as others plus the MacOS you may be seeing is much more recent.

The MAC vs. PC debate is old and tired. Vote with your pocketbook and have fun.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!