MacBooks forum

General discussion

Mac Book Pro 15ins

My USB ports have failed. I get the following text box when boot-up.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mac Book Pro 15ins
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mac Book Pro 15ins
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well

In reply to: Mac Book Pro 15ins

Well, they're right that you'll need a new logic board, but that price is excessive. Odds are they're just trying to get you to buy a new system. Which is usually the better option if you have a logic board fail on a laptop.

Collapse -
As a matter of interest,

In reply to: Mac Book Pro 15ins

do you have anything plugged into the USB ports of that laptop?

If yes, do you still get the same message when you boot up the laptop?

P

Collapse -
MacBook USB Ports dissabled

In reply to: As a matter of interest,

Hi P
No, there are no items connected to the USB ports.
R

Collapse -
Just a straw,

In reply to: MacBook USB Ports dissabled

looks like everyone was right.

I agree with Jimmy though, that price is excessive

P

Collapse -
MacBook 15" USB

In reply to: Just a straw,

What surprises me (as an electrolytic engineer,) is that there's no protection on the USB ports given that they are designed to provided power to external deices. What's your views?
R

Collapse -
I am no fan

In reply to: MacBook 15" USB

I am no fan of the hardware aspect of USB. They're incredibly cheap and shoddy ports, along with what you said, not even rudimentary protection against surges from bad devices. But, those resistors would cost money, and if you can save 1-2 pennies on every system, that'll add up over time.

Collapse -
MacBook 15" USB

In reply to: I am no fan

Hi Jim,
I fully agree with you. I've owned and operated laptops for many years and this is the first experience I've had with inoperative external ports. It's really downgraded my feelings of Apple Hardware!!! Any other thoughts???
Ron

Collapse -
It's not Apple's fault

In reply to: MacBook 15" USB

It's not Apple's fault, they're not the ones who came up with the idiotic design for USB. They're just left implementing it. Blame the USB committee for the crap design. I think it was originally one of Intel's ideas, though I find it hard to believe that Intel would have designed something this bad. It probably wasn't a bad initial spec, then a committee of all manner of different hardware makers got involved, looking for ways to cut corners.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.