Mac OS forum

General discussion

Mac and Linux

by StargateFan / March 4, 2007 12:03 PM PST

Has anyone subscribed to this forum installed a distro of Linux onto a Mac before, specifically a Macbook? Can you do so? If possible do you need boot camp or can you install a dual boot config similar to a pc? Thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mac and Linux
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mac and Linux
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just wondering.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2007 12:11 PM PST
In reply to: Mac and Linux

Why do this? You have a version of UNIX already running.

Bob

Collapse -
Yes, I know this
by StargateFan / March 5, 2007 3:45 AM PST
In reply to: Just wondering.

Mac OS X is built on top of a version of Unix called Darwin. However I want to know if it would be possible for me to install the fedora core if I wanted to, and if so would I have to use Boot Camp, could I use Boot Camp if it is not needed? Can I do it like a Windows PC where I just install and config a dual boot. You see I am thinking very deeply about purchasing a Macbook. Apple and their products have been impressing me for a few years now. Of course being a Windows fan I will never give up on Windows, I do have Virtual PC and boot camp. But I want to get a feeling for my freedoms with a Macbook. With a Windows PC, I have no problem putting Windows or Linux in a dual boot config. Do I hve this freedom with a Mac?

Collapse -
No one I know does this. Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2007 3:55 AM PST
In reply to: Yes, I know this

Because it already is an UNIX machine. Even X11 is there so any app that is on Linux may be available for MacOSX without the need to install Linux. I can only guess this is why.

BTW, I didn't bother to research this with google. Have you?

Bob

Collapse -
Is it possible
by StargateFan / March 5, 2007 4:07 AM PST

Is it possible though, do you I have the same freedoms with Mac that I do with a Windows or Linux based PC? Can I install dual boot configs. Or is the PC locked down from doing such things?

Collapse -
I'll write no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2007 4:15 AM PST
In reply to: Is it possible

While others appear to have done so, I think you won't be able to. But I bet if you used google.com and the wikipedia you might learn what is possible.

I've limited my answer to what I'm seeing others doing, not what is possible. I agree with my friends there is no reason to install Linux.

Bob

Collapse -
Are you crazy?
by froasier / March 23, 2007 1:22 PM PDT
In reply to: I'll write no.

There is never no reason to install Linux. There are some features and/or programs exclusive to Linux, some people may like it better than MacOS (especially with all the distrobutions out there), and some may just have fun trying it out!

Collapse -
Yes, how'd you guess.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2007 9:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Are you crazy?

My answer is based on a simple reason which I presented. For most installing another OS is not required since we can go with the native OS and get the same apps.

Bob

Collapse -
I say yes
by pro_chaliha83 / March 5, 2007 2:25 PM PST
In reply to: Is it possible

I'm pretty sure you can... I don't know how, b/c I've never used Linux before... But my friend's done it on his Macbook. He's tri-booting Mac OSX, Ubntu, and XP.

Sooo. I can't really get anymore specific than that, because that's all i know about linux... sorry

Collapse -
Alright
by StargateFan / March 6, 2007 1:51 AM PST
In reply to: I say yes

Thank You Very Much, for your help, really appreciate it.

Collapse -
Yes, it can be done.
by 3rdalbum / March 15, 2007 11:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Alright

Yes, it can be done, I know someone who has done it. There are many reasons to run Linux on a Mac, and I'm glad one of the ones you mentioned is "freedom" - you don't get any of Linux's freedoms on Mac OS X unfortunately.

I would suggest looking at a Fedora forum for a HOWTO - Fedora apparantly has the best Macbook support so far, and the project has supported PowerPC Macs for a long time as well, so you've landed on your feet.

Collapse -
Parallels
by squirri / March 16, 2007 8:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes, it can be done.

Parallels workstation will let you install just about any OS you want as a Virtual Machine.

Works great for Windows and also various flavours of Unix(check the Parallels site).

Runs nearly as fast as using Bootcamp, but has the huge advantage that you can swap easily between Operating Systems without rebooting the machine. If an OS crashes, you can just kill off its' VM.

The downside is that if you want to play graphics intensive games, you're stuffed - fast graphics are not yet supported.

You can get a time limited demo - I'd try that out and see how you get on

Collapse -
I am very familiar with Virtualization...
by StargateFan / March 20, 2007 11:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Parallels

However I was told a fact that at the time I had trouble believing but took it to be true anyway, because of my lac of extended experiance with the Mac Platform. I use virtual machinces frequently, but I was told with the addition of Virtual Machines onto a Mac PC will drastically slow down the OS. Now it is understandable that while the Virtual Machine is in operation that all background processes will run slowly. However this person, I belive it was in this forum told me that an active Virtual Machine slows the machine down to an unbareable operating speed. Were my first thoughts correct about Virtual Machines on the Mac Platform, that the OS doesn't completely slow down? Thanks

Collapse -
Slow down
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 20, 2007 9:53 PM PDT

I am currently running XP on a Mac using Parallels.

Neither one of the OS's on the Mac slow down to an unbearable crawl. From experience, I would not believe that story

P

Collapse -
linux on mac
by bdeblase / March 19, 2007 5:13 AM PDT

I installed yellowdog 4.0 on a blue and white g3 mac. I like it a lot better than osx (10.4.8). the g3 is a slow machine (i got 3 other computers 2 xp, 1 linux (slackware)all 3 of them 2ghz. osx was just to slow for me personally and I hated the "wheel of death" that comes up everytime I tried to do something. yellowdog is still slower than the slackware box but it is liveable compaired to osx. I have all computers operating systems looking about the same. (got object dock running on all of them and the start bar on the top, mac style) I got nothing against osx but for me it was just slower than yellowdog and I can do the same things i did with osx.

Yellow dog is authorized version of linux for the mac by apple. mac and yellowdog can even be on the G3 and duel boot if your hard drive is big enough. not trying to advertise here and you can get yellowdog as a free download (dont expect any help without paying for it)

I tried to install slackintosh but it didnt like the g3 for some reason. oh well yellowdog is still good, was just tring to see what is out there for the mac. once again it is a treat for me to set it all up and get the mac and linux and 2 xp boxes all sharing files and talking to each other.. the slackware box runs a webpage, and the 2 xp's are running seti@home(boinc).
Yaboot will help you configure your system for duel boot.
Hey!, a guy's gota have toys to play with!?

Collapse -
Always makes me Laugh!
by gforcegt13 / March 23, 2007 4:10 PM PDT

Everyone that likes Mac's think they are so great and wonderful. Yet Mac switched to intel and you can run Windows and Linux on a Mac, etc. So why buy a Mac if you are going to put another OS on it?! Think about how they want to be so different when really they have given into the PC.

Collapse -
Linux
by stikkybubble / March 23, 2007 7:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Always makes me Laugh!

I have an iBook, and because that is intel I had to use parallells to install windows, but as someone else said, parallels will let you install any OS. So far as I know, if your mac is compatible with boot-camp, that will too. It all depends on the specs of your MAC. Google it- I did. My PPC G3 was unsuitable for any of this, the iBook needed paralllels.
Linux is not the problem at all- wrong question. Don't take my word for it about the specs, this is off the top of my head. But <b>the right question would have been 'which method can i use on my macbook?'.</b>
I agree there is no point in having linux- PC friends are always on at me about this, and fail to understand when i say 'don't b silly, this runs on unix anyway'. However, i guess you must have some special need....?
If not, don't bother.

Collapse -
Installing Linux on a MAC
by ollie90680 / March 25, 2007 3:01 AM PDT

You didn't state what CPU you are using. Ubuntu has a LiveCD version which will run on Mac PPC (prior to Intel CPU). I have not installed Linux on my MAC's but use the LiveCD as a troubleshooting tool to seperate hardware/software issues. I don't see a problem installing Linux on Mac but I wonder why bother? Mac is basically a Nix (UNIX related OS) just like Linux. The security features etc are all in the MAC OS 10.X without going to Linux. Try a LiveCD first and see how Linux works would be my suggestion. If you have an Intel CPU you can use an i386 version of LiveCD from any distro.

Collapse -
Linux on an Apple PC
by Ptero-4 / April 8, 2007 11:46 AM PDT

Ubuntu is your best bet if you need to install linux on an Apple branded PC. It supports EFI (the Apxles replacement for the common PC BIOS) on the x86 version and it haves a PowerPC version too.

Collapse -
Can't boot from the CD
by SventoRivers / November 6, 2011 6:11 PM PST
In reply to: Linux on an Apple PC

I've found a version of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS for PPC, but I can't make the machine boot from it. I've tried pressing C and I've tried pressing Alt, but Tiger boots no matter what button I press.

Collapse -
Booting from Ubuntu CD
by SventoRivers / November 7, 2011 1:06 AM PST
In reply to: Can't boot from the CD

I do have some kind of button on the front that can be pressed with a pencil. When I press it, I eventually get to a grey screen where it says "type mac-boot to start osx" or something. I guess that's where I should start but I have no idea what to type to start the Ubuntu install.

Collapse -
Instead of hijacking a 4 year old thread
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 7, 2011 5:18 AM PST
In reply to: Booting from Ubuntu CD

why not create a new one with ALL the relevant information in the first post.

"Some kind of button on the front than can be pressed with a pencil" is not exactly useful tech information and does nothing to help anyone decide what type of computer you are trying to install Ubuntu on.

P

Collapse -
Booting from Ubuntu CD
by SventoRivers / November 7, 2011 8:23 AM PST

I'm afraid I don't have much technical knowledge... This is a G4 PPC from 99 or something. On different forums I've been adviced pressing C and pressing Alt and some different combinations, but none of them work. I thought maybe this button on the front was a clue to what kind of machine I'm using and how to solve my problem. Maybe that means there's an other approach to making the computer boot from a cd?

I didn't mean to hijack a thread, I thought my problem was related to the original one. This is a very old machine and it seemed logical to seek answers in an old thread.

Collapse -
Boot the machine from the hard drive as normal
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 7, 2011 8:43 AM PST
In reply to: Booting from Ubuntu CD

go to the Apple menu, top left of screen
choose About this Mac (words to that effect)
Choose More Information (words to that effect)

Collapse -
The machine
by SventoRivers / November 7, 2011 5:13 PM PST

Maskinens namn: Power Mac G4 (AGP-grafik) Datormodell: PowerMac3,1 Typ av CPU: PowerPC G4 (2.7) CPU-antal: 1 CPU-hastighet: 350 MHz L2-cache (per CPU): 1 MB Minne: 2 GB Busshastighet: 100 MHz Boot ROM-version: 4.2.8f1 Serienummer: CK95118WHM1

I've already tried the Option key, I called it Alt in my previous post.

Collapse -
An early G4
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 7, 2011 8:56 PM PST
In reply to: The machine

1999 so a little long in the tooth.

Collapse -
So let's back up a second
by Jimmy Greystone / November 7, 2011 9:29 PM PST
In reply to: Can't boot from the CD

So let's back up a second, and why don't you tell us a bit about where you found this CD. Is it something you purchased from some place that sells Linux distributions for people who can't/don't want to burn them on their own?

If you downloaded an ISO file of the distribution, why not tell us a little about EXACTLY what you did to burn this to a CD/DVD. Recreate it for us, step by step.

Collapse -
CD
by SventoRivers / November 8, 2011 4:04 PM PST

I've burnt my own but it was more than half a year ago. Don't remember any details, I'm afraid. But next time I have access to a cd-burner, I'll make a new one, 6.06 instead of 10.04.

Collapse -
If you put the disc into the drive
by Jimmy Greystone / November 8, 2011 9:01 PM PST
In reply to: CD

If you put the disc into the drive of any computer really, and then look at the contents, what do you see?

Collapse -
CD
by SventoRivers / November 9, 2011 1:15 AM PST

I haven't tried any other computer, but when I put it in the PPC I see all the files on it.

Collapse -
And since you say
by Jimmy Greystone / November 9, 2011 11:38 AM PST
In reply to: CD

And since you say when you hold down the option key, nothing happens, did you by any chance set an open firmware password? I forget how it works on the PPC systems, but I know on x86 units with EFI, it will block you from booting off of external media if one is set.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?