Laptops forum

General discussion

Mac 15" v. 17"

Hi all,

you guys were a big help when I was deciding between mac and pc laptops a couple weeks ago, so i figured i'd come back for advice on the newest conundrum. I finally decided, after much demo-ing etc., to go with the G4 powerbook. now, however, i'm trying to decide between the 15" and 17" powerbooks.

I originally was only looking at the 15", but realized that with an educational discount the difference between the two would only be around $150. At that point, the huge screen started to look pretty sexy... Anyone have any advice on this? Anyone have experience carrying the 17" around?

thanks in advance all,

r

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mac 15" v. 17"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mac 15" v. 17"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Mac 15" v. 17"

In reply to: Mac 15" v. 17"

Most people using 17" LCD screens are using them as desktop replacements. You will have dramatically less battery life also unplugged. This would be mostly for gamers who want the ability to move a 1 piece computer (as opposed to a separate desktop and monitor and all the wires) around the house occasionally but nearly never use it to travel outside the house.

I do see realtors using 17" notebooks a lot, however, as they have it at an open house and it is larger for people to see pictures/satelite images of the area, etc. But again, the realtor is only carrying it from his car into the sale house -- not all over campus or to longer distances. And, the realtor is using the 17" notebook plugged into A/C -- not battery power which will be much less versus the 15"

So if you are carrying it around campus a lot get the 15". If you will leave it on your desk most of the time then consider the 17"

Note that that there are plenty of Targus, Samsonite, etc notebook backpacks that will hold a 15" or 15.4" widescreen notebook (the only way to carry it around so both arms are holding the weight -- not just one arm) but I don't even know of a backpack that will hold a 17" LCD notebook.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Mac 15" v. 17"

I don't know what the Apples weigh exaclty but I can tell you a 15" or 15.4" widescreen Pentium M Compaq X1000 notebook I have weighs 6.5 pounds and another 1 pound or so for the A/C adaptor if you carry that.

An HP 17" Pentium 4 monster weighs close to 10 pounds buy itself without even including the heavier A/C adaptor.

The Apple chips run cooler than the Pentium 4M so it may be lighter but I would still say you are looking around 9 pounds without the A/C adaptor for the 17" Apple.

Collapse -

Ken, the PowerBook G4 17" weighs 6.9 pounds and is 1.3 inches thick. I looked at both the 15.4" and 17" screens at the Apple store and the 17" was huge. Also, the 15.4" has a ventalation problem so it gets very hot. The 17" does not have this problem. Good Luck!!!

Collapse -

If the Apple 17" powerbook is really 6.9 pounds then that is very good as my 15.4" Compaq Centrino laptop is 6.5 pounds.

As long as you can carry the bulk (size) of a 17" notebook (check out carrying options) beforehand this is an option for you.

Go to the Apple stores and lift the notebooks yourself and ask the people there about recommended carrying backpacks/bags for both notebooks.

Also ask about the battery life of the 15" versus 17" LCD's on the Apple Powerbooks...

Collapse -

Collapse -

I did see a Samsonite notebook satchel bag for a 17" notebook on sale in one of the Sunday store ads so you may have to do that if you want the 17"..I have not seen a notebook backpack go larger than 15.4" yet....

They have some great back to school sales on Targus, Wenger, Samsonite, etc 15.4" or smaller notebook backpacks in the Sunday ads at Best Buy, Circuit City, Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, etc.

Collapse -

In reply to: Mac 15" v. 17"

I have a 17" powerbook, and I love it. But to echo what someone else said on this thread, 15 vs 17 will depend on how much portability you want. In comparison to other "desktop replacements", this 17" is a light-weight, its 6.9lb weight is lighter than some 15" notebooks. But the bulk does show when you try to lug it around all the time, which I did once in a while. If you don't mind the extraweight, go for the 17", if you really do need portability get the 15.

Collapse -

Steve Jobs is using a 17" Powerbook while recovering from his pancreatic cancer surgery.

I did see a battery recall posted recently for 15" Apple notebooks.

The main issue as the previous poster said is bulk -- you will likely have to carry it around in a satchel bag as you could easily find a 15" notebook backpack.

But if the weight really is 6.9 pounds (not including A/C adaptor of course) and the pricing is only $150 more than that makes the 17" very attractive if you are willing to have a bit more bulk -- the 17" HP and Toshiba notebooks are very heavy (9.9 pounds or so) so they are mostly for pure desktop replacements and realtors, etc.

Also, of course, the Apple uses a cooler running chip (not a hot Pentium 4) so you should get decent battery life although in theory the 17" will be less running the larger LCD

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.