Phones forum

General discussion

M515 help please

I recently recieved a Palm m515 and m130 and tungsten E to go with my NR70v and lifedrive(and I just bought an E2 also, Hehe). All work but the m515 goes into a reset loop when I try to start it, it just flashs the Palm powered logo until it dies, is it reparable or is it Shot, I want tohave a working one of these, some people said it's that battery has lost all charge and can't be recharged. Thanks for the help, not to good with fixing older PDAs

bigboy73

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: M515 help please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: M515 help please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If it's the usual problem.

In reply to: M515 help please

You need to do the hard reset but I will not duplicate the Palm web contents on how to do that.

Let me instead share how to get Palm PDAs to do such a thing so you can avoid getting them into such a snit.

Here's how I can screw up a Palm PDA.

1. Hotsync the first PDA. Write down the name you hotsync with.
2. Hotsync the second PDA and use the name from the first PDA for what to hotsync with.

If you are unlucky to have just the right pair of PDAs you'll lock up or cause the second or first or both PDAs to lockup, or reboot in loops.

Nothing is truly broken here and I will not write why this is so.

BOTTOMLINE: Don't do that unless you are willing to research hard resets and clearing the PDA on Palm.com
Bob

Collapse -
This is how it came

In reply to: If it's the usual problem.

It wa given to me i put it in the cradle to charge and the screen would just flash every ten seconds or so. So i opened it up and the battery wasn't connected, so I connected it. since then it will turn on display the Palm Powered logo and then start flashing after ten seconds. I've tried a Hard reset, nothing, can't do a Warm reset, which is what everyone says has to be done to stop a loop, and a soft reset just starts the cycle all over again. I havent hot synced it, and I also reset it in the cradle anddid the three hour charge thing. I don't get it I can't get it to start, I lloked at all the chips and they all seem fine, no wierd noises and he connections are all good?

bigboy73

Collapse -
The sync could have been done by someone else.

In reply to: This is how it came

I am not offering to fix your PDA. I only offered how to get a Palm in such a state of rebooting. To add to this you would be sure no SD card is in the unit as well.

You could share your hard, warm, soft reset methods and I'll check your work. I purposely never write how to do this reset so that I can check to see if the member did it proper. I have to do that since we've been burned over this one as the member claims they did that.

I didn't read that you tried the other Hard reset. There are a few resets and with each one the results if they change would prove one thing or another.

Good luck,
Bob

Collapse -
How I reset

In reply to: The sync could have been done by someone else.

Soft- pushed reset pin on back
Warm- held up while i reset, but it just started flashing the palm logo

hard- held power button let go, pushed up to erase all, down would not work or "any other button".

Incradle- made sure the device was charging and hit reset button, waited three hours for the device to et or something(read that I had to wait online) and it did nothing still blinking the palm logo'

and their is no SD card in it the device jus has the dummy card in to keep debre out

bigboy73

Collapse -
Then it looks grim.

In reply to: How I reset

What I might do if I was looking for another PDA was to look or ask on Ebay for one with a busted screen. Your screen appears to be fine so given the story and it sounds like you did all the right resets all I can offer is one last reset hurrah.

Do the hard reset but just prior to the button up reset toss it back into the charging cradle so we know its got juice. Then press the up button. No, I can't tell if that will help but it's only item left.

Good luck,
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.