Laptops forum

General discussion

M45 S331

by pohyee / March 4, 2005 1:03 AM PST

I just bought a Toshiba M45 S331 laptop but it has a major flaw. When I turned the laptop on using its battery and then switched from battery to AC supply, the system would freeze. I have since returned two laptops with the same problem. Not sure if this is an isolated case but two new laptops with the same problem? Anyone has similar problem with this laptop? Please let me know because I am deciding whether or not I should get a Sony FS550 intsead. Thanks.

PYV

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: M45 S331
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: M45 S331
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
same here
by 639999 / March 4, 2005 3:39 PM PST
In reply to: M45 S331

nothing you can do however i found a way around it as long as u dont keep putting it in then taking it out you may be ok i found for instance that i plugged it into the wall then as soon as i did i realized cord was tangled i unplugged it then replugged it in matter of few seconds it froze but if you wait a few min it wont freeze between the battery and the power cord

Collapse -
i found a fix
by 639999 / March 6, 2005 10:41 AM PST

ininstall toshiba power saver 7.03

Collapse -
Power Saver 7.03
by pohyee / March 7, 2005 12:05 AM PST
In reply to: i found a fix

You mean by removing power saver 7.03, the problem would be resolved? What are the drawbacks of uninstalling the power saver? I just don't get why an expensive laptop with a reliable brand can't even handle a change of power source. That might be an indication of more significant problems in the long run.

Collapse -
well
by 639999 / March 7, 2005 2:48 PM PST
In reply to: Power Saver 7.03

if you uninstall power saver u lose some control over how your laptops visual and processor manages the battery power obviously the more juice. i feel that this has something to do with the software relating to acpi (advanced computer power interface) drivers as i had a gateway which acted funny when power was connected it didnt want to go into standby. i searched and seached and found an acpi driver update and boom all was well....I am no computer genius howeve i am well capable of troubleshooting and addressing problems with a little research and trial and error but i feel this is where the problem lies (acpi and toshiba's power saver software)

I will keep yall posted

Tim

Collapse -
Hmmm...
by pohyee / March 8, 2005 12:45 AM PST
In reply to: well

If I am not wrong, the Tech guy from Toshiba had instructed me to unistall the power saver when I called about this problem with my first laptop. It didn't work. He then told me it was a hardware problem. I have found away around it as well which is by changing the power profile from normal power to full power before plugging in. When it's on battery, the profile will default to normal power and by clicking on the full power before plugging in, the problem can be avoided. Either that or put it on standby before plugging in. The only issue here is that a good laptop should not have this kind of problem. It's minor but annoying enough that we have to take the extra step when it's supposed to function without interruption after we switch the power source. To me, it's a defect with this model.

Collapse -
Haven't seen it
by Bueller / March 8, 2005 3:02 AM PST

I've been turning on my M40 on battery and then plugging it in with no problems, and I do it quite often. So its not everywhere.

Collapse -
Toshiba Lockup
by cgv / March 18, 2005 11:37 AM PST
In reply to: Haven't seen it

After replacing my machine twice, i found that if you turn off the wireless internet using the front switch before you plug in the AC, the machine will not freeze.

Collapse -
do you hvae m40 or m45?
by gixer4cd / April 12, 2005 2:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Haven't seen it

this freeze problem seems to be affecting the M45 chasis, whether s331 or s351.

Collapse -
Tosh M45 freeze lockup hang problems
by gixer4cd / April 8, 2005 1:27 PM PDT

Yes, there is a major flaw!!! I have wasted countless hours trying to trouble shoot the freeze/lockup/hang problem/complaint (all that said so more hits will come this way and people will know NOT to buy a Tosh).

I have been through FIVE, that's right, FIVE diff Tosh's since 4/3/05!!! 4 of them were the M45-S331 and the one today was a m45-S351. I have tried every solution, real and imagined! You name it, we've tried it! I have THREE case #'s pending with Tosh t/s and have been patiently waiting for a response since the first opened case!

From what i have learned, there are three things that line up to cause the freeze/lock up issue on the M45 series. 1st; the battery must be in, 2nd; the wi-fi switch must be "on"; 3rd (important) the wi-fi must have already acquired a network address (real or adhoc-whether actually connected to internet or not). Once all of these conditions are met, and u plug or replug in the AC adapter, the system locksup and requires a hard boot.

Let it be know that i have nothing against Tosh, except several depostion files I had to re-create and I have had about 36 hours of downtime between, travel, waiting and reconfig laptop time (each time i tried with another tosh). Best Buy and Circuit City folks have all been way overly helpful and patient and their own tech people and I have tried everything. (I would be glad to speak with anyone that wants to talk about this issue since, obviously, i can't get an area rep or Irvine Ca rep to hear me...sorry, only Istanbul, Turkey "CSR" & "tech" reps thus far). I'm not sure if i am allowed to post my phone number, but here it is, (904) 642-0054, and my name is C.D. I can only begin to tell you the amount of frustration, time, monetary and work loss I have encountered just trying to get the laptops to work!

Also, as a side bar, other cons include a whack keyboard, the cdrom drive is alittle slow (4200rpm) and slightly noisy (the "quiet" option only makes it slower!) and the laptops come overly loaded with trial software and Tosh only window redundancies). The keyboard has the windows key in upper right instead of lower left; delete key is lower mid-right instead of upper right; and that other "squiggly" key--sorry can't recall name of it that used to be next to the "1" is now lower mid left next to the space bar). On the pro side, the sound/speaker quality (thanks, i guess to H/K) is absolutely phenomenal and the Centreno, screen and battery life are all fine (2.75 average with full power all the time!)

I like Toshiba for the price and good things that their M45 offers for that price, but i shouldnt have to disconnect from the internet (via subsequently turning OFF the wi-fi switch) before i plug in the ac adapter)! I have tried all the numbers I found for California and got no where. We alternately tried, untried, uninstalled, reinstalled all 3 wi-fi software's and even the tosh power management and config free stuffs...all to no avail. I can tell you the problem seems more prevelent when the battery is weak or hot and Tosh now claims, tonight, that the "Lite-On" adapter shipped with these units is causing a power surge once the 3 conditions are met. tosh says again that a level 3 tech will get back to me again, now by monday--they haven't responded yet). I should be getting a Sony FS 550 tomorrow which, from research and demo, has poor battery time, partitioned h/d, DVD+/- issues, crappy speakers/sound, no multi card slot, no S video, NORMAL keyboard, same specs, is .8 lbs heavier, thinner, has double layer +/-, etc). I will keep you posted as i learn more. I am thinking of trying another m45, but with a diff power adapter, just to call Tosh's bluff!! Anyone else have a different power adapter and theirs works ok? Is there hope?! Wink

Collapse -
Boy, can I relate!!
by kdcuellar / April 10, 2005 10:08 AM PDT

I actually ended up buying a Gateway a couple of days ago just to keep business going. I had to send my Tosh back to Tosh. Hopefully they can fix it, but I am not holding my breath. I have had that computer in the repair shop 3 times before I sent it back to the manufacturer. I am so frustrated because I, like you have countless hours and $ trying to get the darn thing to just stay turned on. Anyway, keep me posted. I sure hope I didn't just through away $1,800 plus down time at work and another $1,100 for a computer that works so I could keep business going.
Karen

Collapse -
Same here... Going to return this M45 to BestBuy
by WalterPeng / April 15, 2005 5:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Boy, can I relate!!

I tried my M45-S331 just had it for few day ago. I tried with battery in and power on with wi-fi off and switch on the wi-fi and acquired the network. Than here is the problem.... plug and replug and AC adapter... LOCKUP and FREEZE the computer. Only way to boot the computer is to unplug and AC adapter and removed the battery... This notebook pc is going back to BastBuy tomorrow for refund. I am not going to pay for a problem.

Collapse -
Computer Freezing after plugging in AC power cord.
by pm3d / February 28, 2006 7:58 AM PST

I have been experiencing this more frequently lately and it is extremely frustrating as I need to be continuously connected wirelessly to our server for my job.

Does anyone know of any new fixes? Have many others experienced this problem?

Unfortunately, my Toshiba Satellite M45-S351 has been in the shop x 3 for screen issues in less than 1 year. Needless to say I have not been satisfied with the quality of this Toshiba product.

Collapse -
A few things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2006 8:19 AM PST

1. Try a laptop cooling pad.

2. No spyware. That is, don't leave anything found by EWIDO or HOUSECALL (google.com)

3. Since it's at work, what happened to beating up on your IT staff?

Bob

Collapse -
i found a fix for M45 s351
by jhreddy / April 17, 2005 2:40 PM PDT

jus disable the automatic wireless management and set it to medium ..dats it..ur problem will be solved..even i had a similar problem but now its fixed.

i have a problem wid mah processor sometimes it shows the speed as 1.3ghz n sometimes 794Mhz...and memory as 504Mb.

My laptop coinfig is !.7ghz, 512Mb RaM?/can any one help me out..

Collapse -
fix/workaround seems to work for me, too
by purple_reign / April 26, 2005 2:33 PM PDT

I am a fellow M45 freeze sufferer.

I disabled the automatic wireless config and have done several plug-unplug cycles without incident. We'll give it a few days, and I'll report back if I see my freeze again. Thanks much for all the posts in this thread.

Collapse -
The Same problem 2 x M45 (Big mistake - Bought 2 M45 Note)
by leonari / April 30, 2005 9:31 AM PDT

Guys,

please tell me where can i dasable the "Automatic Wireless Config"...

Thank's

Collapse -
Enable and Disable Automatic Wireless Network Configuration
by Lowkey603 / May 31, 2008 7:26 PM PDT

To enable automatic configuration, ensure the "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings" checkbox is checked on the Wireless Networks tab of the Wireless Network Connection properties window. Automatic wireless Internet / Wi-Fi network configuration will be disabled if this checkbox is unchecked. You must be logged on with Windows XP administrative privileges to enable / disable this feature.

Collapse -
finally a solution to shutdown freeze - no restart
by mastermindtech.net / January 5, 2010 6:41 AM PST

A customer's Toshiba Satellite M45-S269 would start up just fine when it was completely cold, but it would not restart unless I waited a good 20 minutes in-between shutdown and restart. I searched and searched for a solution and found things related to power errors, disabling this or that auto power setting, and a final suggestion to just give the machine back to the customer with a suggestion to only shut down if they don't need to restart for another half hour.
FINALLY, I have apparently found a solution. I searched Toshiba Power Saver errors, determining that the error was indeed related to a power setting. This solution is listed as applicable for the Satellite R15 series, but it worked on my M45. It's posted here: http://laptopforums.toshiba.com/t5/Batteries-and-Power/Toshiba-Power-Saver-Fatal-Error/td-p/37925;jsessionid=A3A56A067D3B4A1BA47BE9EC4DB86B7E
I installed the first fix, and of course had to wait the half hour to reboot and install the second, but from that time on, all was good.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.