LG forum

Question

LW5600 HDMI audio w/TWC Explorer 8300HDC

by espkc / November 12, 2011 11:31 PM PST

Puzzling issue with my new 55LW5600 TV connected via HDMI cable to a Time Warner Explorer 8300HDC DVR.

On power up, the TV has no audio from the DVR on HDMI1. Audio OK from my LG BluRay (Connected to HDMI2) Picture is crystal clear with no glitches on both inputs.

If I select HDMI2 (BluRay), allow it to connect, THEN switch to HDMI1 (DVR), I get audio from the DVR.

I have tried different HDMI cables, and have swapped outputs between the BluRay and the DVR. I have also verified the DVR is set to HDMI audio.

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LW5600 HDMI audio w/TWC Explorer 8300HDC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LW5600 HDMI audio w/TWC Explorer 8300HDC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Similar problem, but with 8240HDC set-top box
by psycfur / December 26, 2011 1:57 AM PST

I'm having a similar problem. Same TV, also on Time Warner, but with the slightly different 8240HDC DVR/set-top box. Output from the box to the TV is through HDMI-1. 50% of the time, I power on the TV and DVR and I get audio and video. The other 50%, I get audio only. I've tried different HDMI inputs and cables, and it's not those. And my DVR audio output is also set to HDMI. I'm now using the composite inputs on the TV, and that works fine but with some degradation in signal quality. I called LG tech support and was told, "yeah, we've seen that before. The only solution is to set your DVR to output at 720p resolution." That's a stupid solution, and it doesn't work, anyway.

I'd guess this is a firmware glitch on the TV. The TV is "hunting" for a signal from the HDMI cable and apparently can always "grab" the video but sometimes misses the sync with the audio. Desperate for a solution here.

Dave

Collapse -
Solution to Sound Problem.
by msmith59 / February 20, 2012 2:21 AM PST

I had the same thing happen, I just set my TV up yesterday (LG 55LW5600). Called LG and the tech had me
unplug the TWC DVR, after it rebooted the sound was fine. Turned TV off and back on a couple of times to make sure. Seems to be working fine now. Hope this helps.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!