Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Lux

by chillin3 / December 7, 2006 6:22 AM PST

I was wondering exactly what lux is in simple terms. and wether you want more or less lux for a camcorder.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lux
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lux
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Link about. Very complete.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2006 7:29 AM PST
In reply to: Lux
Collapse -
In simple terms like you wanted it in the first place...
by whizkid454 / December 7, 2006 9:36 AM PST

it's just the measure of the intensity of light in a certain amount of space. Camcorders need more lux to capture better video but one that advertises a 0,1,2,3,4, or 5 lux rating means that you can record (bad)video at this minimum intensity. So, you basically want more lux for better video.

Collapse -
as it was explained to me...
by boya84 / December 7, 2006 12:53 PM PST

think of the amount of light a single candle - say, a birthday candle - can shine in a completely dark room... then imagine 2 candles, 3 candles and so on... and in a very simplistic manner, consider 1 candle = 1 "Lux". The problem with this example is that the single point of light from the candle can be quite bright - but when you look at something a foot or two away from that candle, it isn't so bright anymore - this "couple of feet away" is the equivalent brightness - or "Lux"... More candles, more light. I know this isn't very accurate and I understand that it is rather un-scientific, but it helped my simple mind understand...

Collapse -
explain this than
by chillin3 / December 8, 2006 4:32 AM PST

I own a camcorder that we bought just recently in order to watch our old home videos. because they aren't digital. And it still has a little tag on it that says 0 LUX in bold letters. why would they advertise that they have 0 lux if you want a lot of lux? And also there is a low end camcorder with 6 lux and then a 4,000 dollar camcorder with only 2 lux. I don't understand that.

Collapse -
The lux number....
by whizkid454 / December 8, 2006 4:45 AM PST
In reply to: explain this than

on the camcorder is the bare minimum at which the camcorder will record see-able video. So using the cam's low light mode, it will record (infrared(green and black) video). If it says 6 lux and you record in a situation with 4 lux, you will not see any video except black and maybe some slight twitches of movement.

Collapse -
oh
by chillin3 / December 8, 2006 4:47 AM PST
In reply to: The lux number....

so then you want less lux?

Collapse -
So much more complicated....
by whizkid454 / December 8, 2006 4:56 AM PST
In reply to: oh

but, yes, in general, it is better to have a lower number on the cam's label. But there are other factors... Such as it's low light ability in the first place; bad low light at first wont make it any better at 0 lux. So basically yes to your question...

Collapse -
Play on words and marketing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 8, 2006 4:52 AM PST
In reply to: explain this than

The 0 Lux units I've found have an IR illuminator so they are indeed 0 Lux if you count ambient light as the only source. But as you can imagine there is no color at those light levels. Then again you would have to read the entire manual to figure this out.

As to the high end camera and Lux, there are 2 major factors to be considered. 1. The lens size and light gathering ability. 2. The sensor size. At first you may think that sensor size is not a factor but with today's sensors much like another the bigger sensor can have less loss through the lens system and the result is apparent. But I've simplified this to the point I could be argued with. To head off that, I will not respond to such.

Bob

Collapse -
Lux and what it is...
by toferdisobey / December 2, 2007 11:50 PM PST

I?ve been reading up on lux ratings, audio, lighting and such for the past few weeks because I am going to buy a HD cam soon. Actually, what some people say on here isn?t so. Although lux is the rating to one ?candle? light per square meter of surface light in a room, the lower the lux rating, the more sensitive the camera is. So a lower lux rating is best. The rule of thumb is, don?t be so dumb and shoot in such low light.

Bottom line: Make sure there are a few "candles" than just one on in the room...Or alternatively, if your camcorder/camera has the upgrade feature of light, get an additional video light.

Collapse -
Are there any cameras anyone would recommend for low-light?
by Modesty250 / January 29, 2009 8:02 AM PST
In reply to: Lux and what it is...

I'm looking for a camera to mount in a theater with low light to act as a monitor for late comers. We need to have a good quality camera that will operate off AC power and work in low light situations. I'm hoping for under $1000 and would welcome hearing of others' experiences. Thanks!

Collapse -
be really careful...
by chickenorfish / January 29, 2009 8:10 AM PST

be really careful with the lux rating on cams. each manufacturer has their own way of testing it, and the lux is ofter with the slow shutter on, and the zoom at full wide

Collapse -
Here..
by Papa Echo / January 30, 2009 10:37 AM PST

..mount the camera just outside the theater entrance door where it is bright so you do not have low-light problems.

Collapse -
what?
by chickenorfish / January 30, 2009 11:09 AM PST
In reply to: Here..

what?

Collapse -
OK ....
by Papa Echo / January 30, 2009 1:39 PM PST
In reply to: what?

Misunderstood....please ignore post.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!