Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Luna desktop

What group is the Security Center for XP in for the Luna Desktop? I reverted back to the W98 Classic Desktop but my son has Luna, and we're trying to locate XP's Security Center to adjust it, but can't locate it. It's not in the Programs/Accessories/System Tools area either

TONI

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Luna desktop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Luna desktop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Its In...

In reply to: Luna desktop

Its in the control panel. If you can't find it there then turn off your anti virus and it will notify you and you can open it. But it should be in Control Panel!!

Collapse -
Problems

In reply to: Luna desktop

I'll explain what's wrong then ask how to 'fix' it.

XP Home version (probably original without SP1 or SP2 as near as I can gather) on a Gateway laptop....he moved to a new apartment (both have/had Cox cable) for the internet; however, he can't get online at the new location. Cox tech people said it might be his ETrust firewall (no such item installed but Derek didn't know that all he has is the Antivirus which I had him uninstall since it was an older version anyhow and probably not updated).

I thought he had to add Cox as an exception to his XP firewall, but we can't locate the Security Center to do that and right clicking the Local Connection/Properties then Advanced for the Firewall shows an entirely different firewall set of tabs than I have, which is why I suspect a very old version of XP Home.

I had him go into SafeMode as Admin and it's not there either...anywhere.

Had him reboot to normal mode, still unable to get on the net. I was going to have him run "sfc scannow" to possibly repair XP system files and it only flashes a large screen for a second and never runs the program.

NOW.....when he moved from Pensacola, Fl to San Diego, CA his XP install cd that came with the Gateway got warped from heat so it's trash. I sent him a new legally purchased XP-Pro with SP-2 that I'm not sure if his Gateway will allow a 'repair' using it as a bootdisk since the Product Code numbers or whatever identifying info is passed along won't match up. I wasn't even sure if a 'sfc scannow' would allow it with the new cd but I was going to give it a shot until the program won't run.

Obviously there are serious system things not working correctly, but I'm stumped on how to fix it without having to format the drive and start over.

He has an external harddrive that he's backed up all of his deployment, etc. pictures to that he hasn't burned to cd yet because his EZCD 6 program isn't working right either so it might not be a real bad thing to have to do, but being an earlier Gateway laptop, I'm not sure how proprietary the darn thing might be. Hoping not too much since he had a totally separate XP Home install disk and not a recovery/restore type.

What are our options? Anything feasible using this new cd to repair or is he looking at starting fresh completely?

TONI

Collapse -
XP Pro firewall

In reply to: Problems

Didn't the firewall come out with SP2? If he has neither SP's installed, I don't believe you will ever find the firewall as it didn't exist yet.

Collapse -
EZCD 6, I have eTRUST r. 7.1 and have a link below

Collapse -
3 things

In reply to: EZCD 6, I have eTRUST r. 7.1 and have a link below

Sfc /scannow should work with a different XP disk, I've done this often. Secondly is there a chance to do System Restore from Safe mode? Finally you could use the other SP2 disk to run the Recovery Console and run 'bootcfg' etc.

Collapse -
System Restore

In reply to: 3 things

is probably possible, however, it might ask for the original XP disk which is long gone because it got warped from heat and wouldn't even go into the cdrom...also a system restore would just put back the same XP version he already has, which is basic to put it mildly.

I had forgotten to tell him to put the slash into the sfc command so possibly once he is back from the ship (he's Navy) this afternoon I can have him try it again with the new cd I sent him.

If that doesn't work, I think I'll tell him to make sure he's got everything backed up to the external drive and then just format with the new cd and start over. Heather (his wife) had had problems while he was deployed to Iraq getting the laptop to even boot up, but over the phone I got that taken care of and it's only recently now since the move over the weekend that he can't get online with it and the tech at Cox Cable suggested the firewall.

That's when I discovered that the new cd had never been installed on it and he was running the original XP Home from Gateway on it. He got the laptop four years ago when he first was stationed to Pensacola, and it's never dawned on me that he probably had the original XP Home that came out...minus the service packs.

Evidently they didn't realize their ETrust antivirus had probably expired and isn't functioning with updates by now anyhow, but he can't get back on line yet to get the newest version so I just had him uninstall it for now in case it was what was stopping him from getting on line.

He "may" have SP-1 by now, because there is some type of firewall showing when you get into the properties of Local Connection; however, it's definitely NOT the Security Center type of firewall tab that you get with SP-2. It was so unrecognizable by me with how he was describing it that I thought perhaps he actually had installed ETrust's firewall, but that's not it either.

I'll have him back up his email and addressbook, and Favorites in addition to the other deployment pics, etc. and get the laptop cleaned up with a new install of XP Pro. Seems to be the best route to take rather than figure out all the rest of the stuff that isn't working right anyhow with no explanation for it.

Hopefully, that laptop isn't proprietary to the original disks........I had Heather describe the original XP Home install disk to me when we were working on it before and t didn't sound like any restore/recovery disk I've encountered with rebuilds and repairs I've done on systems here.

Right now they are down to only having the laptop to use because the computer I rebuilt for her (desktop type) has a bad power supply and they haven't gotten around to doing anything about that so hers is out of commission completely for now. The laptop is the only way they communicate when he's out on blue water now so it's important to them to have it up and running right.

Thanks.

TONI

Collapse -
I can't help on much,

In reply to: System Restore

but can't your son use the XP Pro SP2 to "upgrade" his XP Home?

I thought that was a valid upgrade option. If so, it would solve you having to walk him through sfc or the recovery console. Also, as an uprade, it may retain his address book and favorites, and other things, although like you said, its best if he backs up his important files first, just in case.

If upgrading is possible, wouldn't that restore all the important system files?

This TechRepublic article suggests its possible;
http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-11186-0.html;jsessionid=H-arY_IbKI4XBqEb1q?forumID=47&threadID=199915

Mark

Collapse -
I hadn't even considered

In reply to: I can't help on much,

the possibility of doing an upgrade....while I was typing this, Derek called and said he has XP Pro not XP Home. But I'm sure it's only got SP-1 if anything at all (my original XP Pro that I got didn't have any of the service packs and I've had to download them and burn them to cd's in order to have them handy until I got the new legit cds for XP Pro myself).

Would his new XP Pro SP-2 also 'upgrade' over it? He's willing to try that once he's exported some of his stuff to the external drive for safekeeping. He's cleaning his wife's car and said he would call me back in a while.

TONI

Collapse -
Service Packs don't "upgrade", they...

In reply to: I hadn't even considered

patch and usually add a few functions or utilities as UPDATES to the OS.

The XP SP2 is good for all three versions of XP Toni, and if he hasn't installed SP2 have him do so AFTER making sure he has removed all "spyware" and "adware" (and I would also recommend a quick Defrag first too).

Collapse -
All this started when he

In reply to: Service Packs don't "upgrade", they...

realized that he couldn't get on the net with Cox Cable at the new location 1/4 mile from his old apartment where it worked fine previously, and Cox Cable told him that it was because of his firewall, even though he had changed nothing except he was getting a new IP address according to Cox.

However, we tried doing the sfc /scannow command again (I had forgot about the slash before so it worked this time); however, the program wouldn't repair any of the files because it said it was the wrong XP disk when he used the new one.

He was finishing up copying his files to the external drive so he could just format the drive and start over with the new disk for XP Pro SP-2 that I got for him to replace the warped one he had for the Gateway.

Since he got a separate XP-Pro installation disk, I'm going to assume that there isn't a recover/restore separate partition like the newer computers have been using and that the XP-Pro disk that he had before, labeled ONLY XP-Pro, also wasn't a vendor-proprietary type for hardware. We'll find out soon enough, I guess.

He has installation disks for most of the rest of his other stuff and what he doesn't have, can be downloaded from the net and reinstalled like his ETrust antivirus and spyware programs...and all windows updates.

I didn't figure that the SP-2 was upgradable, but I thought possibly his old XP-Pro SP-1 (which is what he had/has now since that was the cd that sfc told him to use) could be upgraded to XP-Pro SP-2....guess not so a new install will take place shortly.

TONI

Collapse -
Good luck Toni

In reply to: All this started when he

Tell us how he gets on.

I'm sorry my idea wasn't useful after all. It would have made things a little simpler possibly.

Mark

Collapse -
Problems

Toni,

Just some thoughts .....

I would first check the HDD for possible failure.

Drivers for the MB should be on the Gateway web site.

Security apps not being up to date may be causing the inability to connect to the net.

Bill

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.