Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Lt win and standard modems on my Win 98 and annoying popups

by mandyrchtr / June 27, 2005 2:04 PM PDT

I have an IBM connection with a Lt Win Modem listed on my computer and my server Westnet(.com.au) is listed with the standard modem.I have had this for a little while and will be renewing my dialup connection this week for 6 months with Westnet again.
The trouble I am having is I connect up fine with the internet BUT the IBM keeps popping up a couple of 'windows'.First it tells me what a connection needs as in a phoneline and modem etc.I press cancel to get rid of that then it tells me I need to 'setup' with the wizard(It think)...I cancel that one then it shows me another window with a computer internet setup diagram then I cancel that.This keeps on happening.These windows are driving me nuts...how do I rid myself of this.I don't think I use the IBM.I was given this computer but the problem only happened occasionally now it keeps on happening whatever I seem to be doing on the computer!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lt win and standard modems on my Win 98 and annoying popups
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lt win and standard modems on my Win 98 and annoying popups
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Write more please.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 27, 2005 10:40 PM PDT

I don't know what "westnet" is or what connection you are using.

Collapse -
Sorry, Westnet is my ISP....also...
by mandyrchtr / June 29, 2005 11:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Write more please.

I did not mention...I guess I should have...I have just connected up a Lexmark X1185 all-in-one printer/ scanner/copier and the computer is slowing down sometimes even when just going down the page.
I have also tried just using the printer to send a photo email and my AVG scanning to send took almost an hour and the person at the other end could not open it.
I had sent 4 more before that and it worked fine although scanning text took a little while to scan and send.
When using it also now and then I get a little popup telling me something about an illegal operation and windows will shut down.
I clicked the x on this message 2/3 times and maybe it would go away and sometimes it close down the printer on the screen.
It seemed straight forward connecting the printer up and I don't understand what is happening.
I had an Epson 300 colour printer prior to this one and I think I deleted all of that after unplugging it.
My system details:
Internet Explorer 6.0
O.S: Windows 98
Drive: 4.01 gigabytes useable
1.91 Gig. free space
Quantum Bigfoot TX4
IBM System model 215 3 E3Q
System Serial number AAD09H7
Memory: 48 megabytes Installed Memory
Printer: CAPTURE FAX BVRP. on FAX BVRP
Lexmark X1100 series on USBOO1
I know the memory is not right but am unable to do anything else.
The Fax I will not use but I think I accidently installed it when installing the printer.
I hope this is enough information....
Oh...I have AVG free edition, ZoneAlarm firewall,Spybot search and destroy,SpywareGuard,and Ad-Aware personal which I update all the time and use weekly sometimes more if I feel something is wrong and defrag. every 3-4 weeks as I use the computer daily.
Thank you.
Mandy

Collapse -
Ooops. 20 gallons in a 10 gallon hat.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2005 11:30 AM PDT

Frankly you need to cut back since WinModems need CPU cycles to start online. Or else your issue will occur.

I've noted it before that there is NO EXPLOIT for the DOS BASED WINDOWS from the outside world with one Windows Update and if you don't share the file system. ZoneAlarm in your case is optional and in fact, with 48MB is going to have to be trimmed to the bone for this to work proper.

There is no sign that anything is drasticly amiss, just you have overloaded the boat and it's sinking.

Bob

Collapse -
Uh Oh ...how do I do this Bob....
by mandyrchtr / June 29, 2005 11:54 AM PDT

I am a home user only and fairly new but have tried reading as much as I can about computers.
What if I remove some programs....I don't even touch some things as this was given to me.
And while I am at it ....it appears to be registered to Norman Ball...must have been a prior owner as the tracking cookies that Ad aware finds always have this name.Is it possible to also change to my name?
Can I find out somewhere what all the possible programs I do not use are?
It is the not knowing if removal will upset the system if it is needed.
I feel safe with the ZoneAlarm as it often pops up with blocked items.
Thanks again...Mandy

Collapse -
Sorry, I can't help you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2005 11:14 PM PDT

There is no solution to this one. You may feel comfy with Zonealarm and your antivirus but there is not enough RAM for you to run with a WinModem.

There is a solution since there is no exploit that ZoneAlarm is protecting you from in this old OS. But that's your choice to suffer with this.

Bob

Collapse -
hi
by locsnguyen / July 23, 2005 5:30 AM PDT

i need you help modem fine down the number in the modem

Collapse -
hi company
by locsnguyen / July 23, 2005 5:33 AM PDT

i need you help me model number i don't know finedown the number where if copanyhelp my thank you

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!