Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

lsass.exe system error

by JB3284 / November 29, 2009 9:50 AM PST

Hello everyone,

I get this lsass.exe system error when i attempt to start up my computer. I am Running windows XP. how is this problem fixable if you cannot boot up windows? I even tried inserting a Windows 2000 disk to see if it changes, same issue, same error message. Shall i delete the lsass.exe file then try to install the Windows 2000 disk? Or do i leave that file alone? I am currently booting up my system with Linux from a CD ROM, which really isnt that good, because i cannot view, download or do anything with exe files because Linux doesnt recognize it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank You

Jason

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: lsass.exe system error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: lsass.exe system error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can You Boot Safe Mode?
by tobeach / November 29, 2009 3:00 PM PST
In reply to: lsass.exe system error

If so, you maybe able to run System File Checker which should be able to repair the lsass fault. XP auto creates a READ only Copy of Sys files during install. These are accessed by SFC or Checkdisk functions.

If not, can you at least get Dos Command prompt cursor? If so you could cmd run SFC.

Hopefully others have better ideas. Happy

Collapse -
no luck in safe mode
by JB3284 / November 29, 2009 3:57 PM PST

I get the same error when trying to boot in safe mode.how could i get to the SFC?

Collapse -
If you cannot get into Safe Mode
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 29, 2009 7:41 PM PST
In reply to: no luck in safe mode

then your only options involve using the original XP installation CD to either perform a repair install or a complete new install.

That lsass.exe can often be associated with virus or other malware damage. It can be fixed, but only if you have access to the system in Normal mode or Safe Mode.

If you have that XP CD you could try the Recovery Console, described here;
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

Mark

Collapse -
delete the lsass.exe file???
by JB3284 / November 29, 2009 10:57 PM PST

NO unfortunately I don't have the original XP cd. All I have is an previous version of windows, which is 2000, and when I try to boot from that cd, the same thing happens as if I were regularly starting up my computer.. the XP loading screen...then it goes black then the "lsass.exe failed to initialize click ok to terminate the application" error message comes up. I am currently running my cpu off of a Linux CD ROM i had lying around. I searched the lsass.exe file, and found 3 of them. Being that Linux doesn't support .exe files, I'm not able to view, open or do anything else with the files except delete it. My next question is, what would happen if I were to delete these files since they are corrupted, then attempt to insert the Windows 2000 cd? Would it load the cd? Or will it put me in a bigger hole than I am already in?

The windows 2000 will just be a temporary fix so I can locate and remove this virus, then I will install a later version.

Collapse -
I doubt replacing lsass.exe will solve it.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 30, 2009 1:59 AM PST

Here's a similar case. You will see the options were limited, although one poster did find a different way to solve the issue;
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=112734

Without that XP CD, (and the drivers CD if a full re-install is ever necessary), you are going to struggle.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?