Question

Lower than expected performance with GTX 680?

I just finished building my new gaming rig, which consists of:
16gb RAM,
Intel i5 3570k quad core processor @ 3.40GHz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 680
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit edition

However, with this new rig (which I thought would probably be able to pretty much destroy any game on ultra), I am having strange performance issues (aka lower than expected framerate), in World of Warcraft, DOTA2, The Witcher 2, Diablo 3, Team Fortress 2, amongst other games. I have reinstalled drivers, and made sure GPU fan is high enough so it isn't overheating. Anyone please have any ideas why I could be having performance problems like this? Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Lower than expected performance with GTX 680?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Lower than expected performance with GTX 680?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Just checking.

Is this machine an exact copy of the machine you are comparing it to?

I find folk want the excellent numbers you see in a review but them they don't duplicate the machine the review used. Also you find folk install registry cleaners, an old copy of XP, Spybot (dated things) or again, forget to copy the machine they really wanted.
Bob

- Collapse -
Here you go:

The exact machine im using is:
16gb RAM,
Intel i5 3570k quad core processor @ 3.40GHz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 680
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit edition,
with no fiddling apps such as registry cleaners etc, I already said im using 64-bit windows 7, no dated laggy programs at all. Here's the link to my benchmark score: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/4265209

- Collapse -
That's not an exact description of the machine.

That is however the basics.

Did you read that article about loss of speed as the RAM climbs in size? While more RAM can speed up a machine, there appears to be some issue as you go higher and higher.

Again, what machine are you comparing to?
Bob

CNET Forums