HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Low System Resources

by Tom / December 22, 2003 9:45 AM PST

Hi a friend of mine just helped me build a really nice AMD 2400+ with a 160gig hard drive and DVD recorder, really love the machine. Well because after buying everything I was kind of running low on resources Happy so I opted for a combo board with sound and video, everything works really great but at the time I really didn't have enough for memory that's really why I settled for the PC chips board it could accept SD Ram and DDR and I had SD let over from my old machine, this was just a temporary stopgap kind of thing until I got some DDR. Well my question is I noticed with nothing running and just after booting up the machine that with 256 meg of SD Ram I only have 60% of systems resources free as noted I'm running ME really wanted to get XP but like I said low resources so I decided to just use this operating system seeing that I already had it running on my old machine. See the thing is on my old 500mhz Pentium I had separate sound and video so this was never really and issue. My first question is does this seem correct using 40% of your resources with nothing even running?? Also when I kick in Music Match and use the audio while surfing my resources drop to 22%. Just got 512 of DDR but haven?t installed it yet I know that should help sure things up but I was concerned if something was wrong with the system. Lastly when using one of these combo boards how much memory should you use. Thanks for all the help Wishing Everyone A marry Xmas & Safe New Year!!

Tom j.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Low System Resources
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Low System Resources
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Low System Resources
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2003 11:09 AM PST
In reply to: Low System Resources

Review the Optimizing Windows and Memory articles at http://www.aumha.org/articles.htm

Remember that unless you badly configure Windows 9x/ME it is not exploitable and a firewall is optional. Always remember to ask "where is the exploit?"

Bob

Collapse -
The other parasites.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2003 11:42 PM PST
Collapse -
Re:Low System Resources
by Tom / December 23, 2003 2:54 AM PST

Just ment to mention that you're given three options with this board 8, 16, & 32 for the amount of memory you want to dedicate to video memory I'm currently only useing 8, that's why I thought that afer booting only having 50% of resources appeared to be a little low. And once again how much memory would you recommend using with a combo board. Thanks Again!

Tom j.

Collapse -
Take time to read the Memory Article.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2003 3:01 AM PST

You've revealed you didn't do the homework assignment. Those resources are FIXED 64 thousand byte pools of memory that can not be expanded. Which is why you must use the Optimizing Windows article and be free from Parasites. I also hinted that many run a firewall on an OS that may not need one. You only have so many 64 thousand bytes in that memory pool. Use them wisely.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Take time to read the Memory Article.
by Tom / December 23, 2003 3:14 AM PST

I already read the article and while informative I don't feel it address my problem.

Tom

Collapse -
Re:Take time to read the Memory Article.
by Tom / December 23, 2003 3:16 AM PST

What do you mean "free from Parasites" ?????

Tom j.

Collapse -
Take time to read the Memory Article again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2003 5:49 AM PST

Your reply still had a hint that you believed you could expand those fixed size 64 thousand resource spaces by adding memory. To wit, such spaces are fixed in size. Doubling the memory does not increase resources.

The solution is to make the best use you can of these spaces. I offered two solutions.

1. The Optimizing Windows article.
2. The link to the Anti-Parasite Suite.

Unless you take the time to work your issues, you may fall into that trap a few have where they add memory in hope of getting more resources.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Take time to read the Memory Article again.
by Tom / December 23, 2003 9:24 AM PST

Ok I'll look at it again maybe I missed something the first time.

Tom j.

Collapse -
by Tom / December 24, 2003 2:39 AM PST

I want to first thank you for your help Bob I didn't realise you were a moderator. I will go back and print out the entire article look it over and have my buddy that helped me build the machine take a look. Just one thing, so I don't have to worry about this being hardware related in any way right? and there's actually no direct relationship between resources and total amount of Ram??? Thanks again and best wishing to you and your family in the comming year.

Tom

Collapse -
You're on the right track now.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2003 2:59 AM PST

Your statement "there's actually no direct relationship between resources and total amount of Ram" shows you are catching on about the fixed 64 thousand byte memory pools that Microsoft implemented and we call "resources."

Your use of the Anti-Parasite Suite and the Optimizing Windows article usually is all that's needed to get some 80+% free resources on boot. There is nothing wrong with resources being used. The issue is that there is a fixed size allocated to such. So you have to use such with care and understand the Windows 3, 95, 98 and ME OSes have some limits.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
Re:You're on the right track now.
by S2K577 / December 26, 2003 2:24 AM PST

Windows ME is also notorious for hogging up resources. Chances are that with Windows 98SE, 2K, or XP, the computer will have a lot of its resources back from that hog, Win ME.

Collapse -
by Tom / December 26, 2003 8:07 AM PST

Hi Bob looked at the aticle on memory there several on that page so I think the one you're refurring to is Win 98 & Me Memory Managment, it seems like they suggest two solutions for my particular situation 1)For systems with more than 128 MB of RAM, setting a VCache maximum of about 70% of your total RAM is recommended as prophylaxis against run-away VCache growth in rare, specialized situations. (A tip of the hat to MS-MVPs Ron Martell, Ovidiu Popa, and Alex Nichol for months of experimentation and documentation of these details and recommendations.)
Say Bob were do you go to set the VCache maximum? they also seem to suggest just commenting it out "But, in Win98, this problem was fixed (with further improvements in Windows 98 Second Edition, that carried over into WinME), and these [vcache] lines are not needed. Not only are they not needed, they actually get in the way in Win98/ME. In Win95 they improved performance, but in Win98/ME they decrease performance, because of a second improvement that was made in memory management for Win98" Maybe you can take a moment to fill me in wouldn't be necessay to comment it out if you were to reduce it. A little confussed but getting there. Thanks & Have a Happy New Year!!

Tom j.

Collapse -
(NT) take time to read the memory article again.
by BRENDAL / June 27, 2005 11:56 AM PDT

For nearly 2 mos. I have been scrolling through the forums for answers. It seems there is one here and one there. Now, in a 2 yr old discussion, i finally find someting about "Memory Managers" other than to have it appear on an error message when I was trying to update BIOS without a floppy drive. If these things aren't needed, did you in another thread someplace explain to the previous writer hww to get rid of them? Where and how????
Considering using this thing for Independence Day fireworks.

Collapse -
when, or if, you add (NT) to your subject line
by ChuckT / July 29, 2005 6:02 AM PDT

FYI,
Brendal, if you added ''(NT)'' to the start of your message Subject line, then the body might not get read.

The leading ''(NT)'' is added by the Forum software whenever there is ''No Text'' in the body of the message. That way, people who try to quickly read through the titles of the messages in a thread, and select particular ones, may believe that your message has no text within it.

(I said if because there is a button selection process you may have gone through to accidently have it added for you. That is if, before you enter any body text you clicked Preview, then click Edit, then add your body text. If that is what you did, then you should manually remove the leading ''(NT) '' added in the Subject line.)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.