General discussion

low-resource media app

I just bought a used laptop, so being a few years old, it can barely handle itunes for music and not at all for video. what is a good, low resource media player i can use? the laptop is a dell c400 1.2 ghz, 256mb ram, 20gb hdd. also, if this makes any difference, i us it mostly to play music from my networked desktop.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: low-resource media app
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: low-resource media app
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Windows?

If it's Windows and you don't want any bells or whistles, try Windows Media player 6 or 7.

If you're using Windows XP you will have WMP 9 or 10 anyway, but WMP6/7 is still on your system. Just do a search for mplayer.exe or mplayer2.exe.

It is a simple no nonsense media player.

Mark

- Collapse -
Say what?

My p3-600 ter-600 laptop played DVDs and more. It had Windows 2000 and 256MB RAM. I used PowerDVD for dvd playback, WinAmp, VLCPLAYER, Media Classic and other items.

If your nearly 2X the clock rate machine can't play DVD or video, something is sorely amiss.

Bob

CNET Forums