Cameras forum

General discussion

Low Light?

I really don't like the look of a flash, but I'm also not very good at "tweaking"...I was wondering....is there a camera that I can just pick up and use that doesnt require a flash to auto-focus in low light situations? My past history with digital cameras has been that everytime I use a flash, it looks sourcey and hot in the middle but if I dont use a flash its out of focus. My film camera has a lens on it that almost NEVER requires me to use a flash...Do some digital cameras have lower "stops" on them? Sorry...I'm a noob. Any recommends??
Money really isn't an object.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Low Light?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Low Light?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Low Light?

In reply to: Low Light?

it really all depends on the lens of the camera. some lenses allow lower f-stops than others. when looking at the specs of a camera look for that figure. the lower the f-stop or aperture the more light the lens can let in therefore making it better for lower light shooting.

combined with the f-stop you can could change the iso setting. the higher the iso the lower the light you can shoot in. but the higher you set the iso the more noise or grain you'll have in the photo.

hope this helps.

Collapse -
My Nikon 4500 will take shots in VERY low light.

It'll flash a red light at me to indicate the light is too low, but it will take the shot. The problem is that I have to remember to wait for the shutter to close, and the subject can't be moving. It will look blurred if either the camera or the subject moves.

Collapse -

You need to adjust your camera to the right shutter speed and aperture. Here, the digital camera manual mode is suitable when the light is low. Flash lighting is another variant for taking the picture. There's no absolute formula for anyone to get the right pictures. The proper adjustment takes years to learn. I suggest that you get to take more pictures to know whether shutter speed, aperture, flash, and/or ISO push does matter to the picture taken under the low light. Good luck.

Collapse -

You should look for a camera that has an AF (auto focus) assist light.

It provides a bright white illumination in low light situations, this helps the camera's auto focus system to lock onto the subject.

They made a camera just for you, the Canon G5 or G6.
The G6 just came out and will replace the G5.

It has an AF assist light and a F2.0 lens.

Just what you need for low light situations.

You will find an 11 page review of the G6 here:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canong6/

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.