Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Low HD space after system recovery. Please help!

by ghostbusterfame / May 16, 2009 3:10 PM PDT

I backed up all my files before I ran system recovery WITHOUT a CD on my Compaq Windows XP. Before I ran the recovery, I had only 9GB of space left. After the recovery all My Documents are gone, which is fine since I backed up them, but my HD still reads as only having 9GB of memory left. Can anyone help me fix this? I don't have the original CD my computer came with...is it possible to run a destructive system recovery without the CD?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Low HD space after system recovery. Please help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Low HD space after system recovery. Please help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
About system recovery CDs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2009 9:57 PM PDT

On most of today's machines you create those and for those that forget to do that you order them for a fraction of the cost of a replacement OS.

As to your question without the model number I can't check if your model does that. So here's what YOU can do next. Go to hp.com to find your model's home page and see what they tell you about this.
Bob

Collapse -
Compaq Presario SR1210NX
by ghostbusterfame / May 17, 2009 12:02 AM PDT

The front of the computer says Compaq Presario SR1210nx, does that help? Also, will a destructive recovery reformat? I'm aiming for a complete reformat at the moment since I need all that space back. Thanks for your help, btw.

Collapse -
Yes, it helps you find the documentation.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2009 12:34 AM PDT

Remember this is not so much a support forum (plenty of those out there) but where one can learn to be self supporting.

Now that you know it is a SR1210nx did you head to hp.com to find this model's home page and documentation?
Bob

Collapse -
Foud Manual
by ghostbusterfame / May 17, 2009 5:26 AM PDT

I found the manual on hp's website and it said my model comes with the option to create a system recovery disk. Will this format my hard drive and reinstall my OS if I run it? I just want everything back to factory settings.

Collapse -
"model comes with the option to create a system recovery dis
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2009 7:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Foud Manual

"model comes with the option to create a system recovery disk."

That's what we need!

"Will this format my hard drive and reinstall my OS if I run it? I just want everything back to factory settings."

I'll take that bet. (it should do that!)
Bob

Collapse -
A bit confused

It should format it? I mean if I use the option to restore to factory settings, will that format it? Also, all tutorials I read use one disk to format. The recovery disks take more than one to create, right? How does that does work?

Collapse -
Also
by ghostbusterfame / May 17, 2009 5:29 AM PDT

How big does the CD I need to use to make the recovery CD? Hope I'm not being too bothersome.

Collapse -
Varies with models.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2009 7:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Also

Today I'm using 3 DVDs on Vista machines. Back when XP was issued I found 2 to 4 CDRs were needed. I always duplicated those CDRs since I wanted a backup copy.
Bob

Collapse -
Duplicates?
by ghostbusterfame / May 17, 2009 8:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Varies with models.

I have a lot of blank 700mb CD-R disks, will that hold it? And what do you mean by made duplicates?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.