Laptops forum

Resolved Question

Low-end gaming laptop tips

by RobinHood701 / February 20, 2015 3:36 AM PST

Hi everyone. I'm more of a software geek than a hardware geek, so I need some tips. I'm looking to buy a low(ish)-end gaming laptop just for around the house and I'd like some quick tips on things that I might want to look for or avoid in a machine. Things like types of system or video ram to avoid, good and bad brands, that sort of thing. Thanks!

RobinHood701 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Low-end gaming laptop tips
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Low-end gaming laptop tips
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by RobinHood701

Collapse -
There are three options available according to the budget
by Likangnan / March 31, 2015 1:21 PM PDT

I am not sure that how much you intend to take to order an machine, but for good cheap gaming laptops, I would like to offer three options which I think with great budget and performance.
1. MSI Computer Corp. GP70
Processor: Core i5-4200M OS: Windows 8.1
Graphics Card: NVIDIA Geforce GT840M RAM: 8 GB DDR3L
Hard Drive: 1 TB 5400RPM SATA ODD: DVD SuperMulti
Card Reader: SD card reader WIFI: 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN
Ports: 2-USB 3.0, 2-USB 2.0, 1-HDMI Screen Size: 17.3 Inch
It costs about 800 dollars.

2. Acer Aspire V3-572G-543S
Processor: Core i5 5200U 2.2 GHz OS: Windows 8.1
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 840M RAM: 8 GB DDR3L
Hard Drive: 1 TB 5400RPM SATA Graphics Ram: 2 GB
Ports: 1-USB 3.0, 2-USB 2.0, 1-HDMI Battery Life: Up to 7 Hours
Screen Size: 15.6 Inch
It costs about 600 dollars.

3. Dell Inspiron i3542-6666BK
Processor: Core i5 4210M 2.7 GHz OS: Windows 8.1
Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics RAM: 8 GB DDR3 Memory
Hard Drive: 1000 GB 5400RPM SATA ODD: SuperMulti DVD burner
Audio: Wave MaxxAudio Ports: 1-USB 3.0, 2-USB 2.0, 1-HDMI
Battery Life: Up to 5 Hours Screen Size: 15.6 Inch
It costs no more than 500 dollars.

Just hope it is a little helpful.

Collapse -
Thanks
by RobinHood701 / April 1, 2015 2:38 AM PDT

Thanks for the suggestions, but as I said above, I wasn't looking for specific recommendations, I was looking for general tips. Things like "you really want to go for an i7 instead of an i5" or "don't worry about an i7 as the performance isn't that much better than an i5".

In any event, it's too late now, as I'm typing this on the new laptop. Grin

Collapse -
Answer
There are two thoughts on this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2015 3:41 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks
by RobinHood701 / February 20, 2015 3:47 AM PST

Thanks, but I'm not necessarily looking for specific recommendations and just things to look for/look out for when buying.

Collapse -
It's low end so you would have to tell what matters to you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2015 3:50 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

How low will you go? For my son I got an AMD A10 for cheap and while it games, the settings are usually set to low to medium..

Once in a while you find someone that expects play on Ultra settings on a 250 buck laptop.
Bob

Collapse -
Good question
by RobinHood701 / February 20, 2015 4:08 AM PST

I don't know what's realistic, as the only laptops I've ever used before have been business laptops. For comparison, my desktop is an 8GB i5 with a 1GB GeForce 550 Ti, and I find that perfectly acceptable. As far as what I want to actually play, I'm looking at things like Skyrim, Diablo III, and Civilization 5. I'm not super picky about detail levels, so medium settings should be fine, I would think.

Collapse -
Now that we can wrap some meat on it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2015 4:17 AM PST
In reply to: Good question

Try this google search.

Notebookcheck 550m

You can get basic ideas about game performance from your laptop's GPU with this. So if you have one laptop with the 550 and a new one with the 710 you can get an idea if you are moving up or down.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.