Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Low disk space

by Rosanne / March 5, 2004 3:24 AM PST

Every time I use my computer now this message pops up on the right-hand corner with a disc icon. it says "Low disk space. You are running out of space on the local disk (C) To free space on this drive by deleting old or unnecessary files, click here." I do click it and it performs **** cleanup. Sometimes it frees up a few MB of space and sometimes it doesn't. I have no virus or parasites. I have Ad-aware, AVG, Zonealarm installed and run these daily. I have not downloaded any new hardware. I have done defragmenting with no problems. In the past I had some 1500 songs downloaded and it never said I was low on **** space. I have had my system restored by a professional back to the original Windows ME. As of today I have 36 mp3's downloaded. I checked local disk C: and it shows Capacity 1.99 GB, Used 1.94 GB, Free 59.9MB. Am I overlooking something? I delete temp files and delete mp3's. So what is taking up all my space?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Low disk space
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Low disk space
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Low disk space would not be surprising on a 1.99 GB drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2004 3:47 AM PST
In reply to: Low disk space

Read your post...

"Capacity 1.99 GB, Used 1.94 GB, Free 59.9MB."

This is usually the sign that someone partitioned the drive with some old dos disk and answered NO to large disk support.

Fixing this is not automatic or easy. The "professional" messed up.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Low disk space would not be surprising on a 1.99 GB drive
by Rosanne / June 11, 2004 8:37 AM PDT

Hi Bob. Thanks for the info. I agree with your analysis. I did have to have my computer fixed by someone other than the "professional" who messed it up in the first place. The new guy that worked on it agreed with you. Works like a charm now. This is a great forum. Keep up the good work.

Collapse -
Re:Low disk space
by LaChill2002 / March 8, 2004 10:45 AM PST
In reply to: Low disk space

You have a 2 gig drive, which is really small by todays standards. The mp3 are taking up your disk space. If you tag each one and read it file size,when you add them together, they will equal the missing disk space. To free up the space, copy them to disk, and then delete them from your computer.
But a larger hard drive, should be your plan.
With the size of files, games, sounds and graphics today. A 2 gig hard drive will only serve to keep you aggrivated. It is just to small. I have a 40 gig hard drive, and its past time for me to upgrade. Spend tha cash, get a larger drive.........Later....

La~Chill

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?