HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Low disc space pop up*

by viileafclover / September 18, 2009 4:20 PM PDT

This is my dads laptop and im tryng to help him clean it up being as i know a little bit more then he does about computers in general, (like using online forums to look for answers before trying to handle something) lately its been popping up with "low disc space click here to delete files"

Gateway laptop, maybe 2 years old tops
OS- Windows Vista Home premium
2 hard disc drives, 46.3gb cap. on the local drive, 9.55 gb cap on recovery drive.
model #NX86OS (i guess of the drive itself idk)
gateway m# PA6A if that matters

we've uninstalled tons of programs we dont use anymore, and ones that just arent neccesary, had a problem with activex 10, got that taken care of
have the latest of AVG that never finds anything, (have not run it in safemode yet, wanted to post this first to get some ideas on what to try)
just downloaded Superanti spyware free edition because i realized he had nothing for spyware or malware for that matter, its running right now, its already finished the memory and registry files, found an adware tracking cookie and a rogue antispyware bot in those, then in the files themselves its found a keylogger actual spy.

My dad went through the laptop again this morning uninstalling programs to free up room and changed a few preferences i didnt know were available such as one to do with thumbnails, and another for icons to show empty folders even if they contain something, like pictures for instance, he said when he was done he had freed up gigabytes, but i dont remember a specific number, and now its down to 140mb free. theres one game, but its not very large. he has napster for downloading music for bass practice but usually removes the music once he gets it on disc unless he paid for it, but even that isnt very often, im really at a loss as to whats taking up his memory, im not a laptop kinda a person i have a tower with 120g with a multipartion hard drive and its os is windows xp home edition, so with him having vista i really lack the experience with it to know what to do.

one specific problem i cant prevent is my stepmother comes on this and just goes nuts, not with downloading so much but shes on myspace a lot and goes to all those websites that offer the free profile graphics adn crap like that and just uses whatever. ive managed to block quite a few being as thats how the last laptop died from virus' and what not. hence running the super antispyware. =] im going to go wait til that finishes scanning then run avg and super in safe mode. then post back with the results, if anyone can lend an idea, or tell me im looking in the wrong direction it would be great =]

haha update.. i was about to post this and glanced at the SAS and now theres an additional 20 tracking cookies and another keylogger actual spy.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Low disc space pop up*
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Low disc space pop up*
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
if youre coming to answer this
by viileafclover / September 18, 2009 4:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Low disc space pop up*

please see my other post about Keylogger Files

Collapse -
Try this . . .
by Coryphaeus / September 18, 2009 10:06 PM PDT

Download and install CCleaner (Google it), and run it. It'll clean up a lot of temp files, cookies and such. After it runs, do a defrag to reallocate dead drive space. Now, run AVG in Safe Mode.

Collapse -
Re: uninstalling programs ...
by Kees Bakker / September 18, 2009 10:28 PM PDT

, in effect, moves them to the System Restore area. That won't free any disc space unless you clean that by making a new restore point and then cleaning everything but that one from the Disc Cleanup Wizard.

I found TREESIZE from http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0.html?query=TreeSize+Free&searchtype=downloads a good tool to see where the space used is sitting.

The totally used disc space from the pie chart in the drive's properties equals the total disc space used reported by treesize PLUS the disc space used for System Restore (that is reported as 0 by treesize, because the contents of that folder are inaccessible normally).
After the above cleaning the System Restore area should be practically empty.

But there are known cases where it still contains 20 GB or so of mysterious files. That needs other measure to delete.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.