Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Louisiana Officials Indicted Before Katrina Hit

by duckman / September 17, 2005 11:57 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Louisiana Officials Indicted Before Katrina Hit
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Louisiana Officials Indicted Before Katrina Hit
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Pool?
by C1ay / September 17, 2005 12:04 PM PDT

I propose a betting pool on how long it will take the left to blame this on Bush too?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I'll take yesterday
by duckman / September 17, 2005 12:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Pool?
Collapse -
Surely it was long before that.
by C1ay / September 17, 2005 1:50 PM PDT

Why else would he have created Katrina? Surely he knew before creating the hurricane that the funds hadn't been spent on flood control as intended. All he had to do was supress the FEMA response long enough for the demolition teams to blow up the levees. Just ask Howard Dean, he probably predicted all of this with his crystal ball.

Collapse -
Re: "...fraud and corruption going undetected."
by John Robie / September 17, 2005 4:27 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Good place to start !!!
by duckman / September 17, 2005 10:03 PM PDT
Collapse -
And now we intend to give these people...
by Paul C / September 17, 2005 7:59 PM PDT

...$200 billion for New Orleans' rebuilding?

Based on experience, we'd better make it $400 billion - or not allow any Louisianan even partial control of any of this money...

Collapse -
Considering that
by TONI H / September 17, 2005 8:15 PM PDT

money allocated year after year for fixing/rebuilding/re-enforcing the levees was continously diverted to other local and state programs, they should all be indicted for murder as well.

Ang mentioned in another thread that the mayor and governor couldn't be impeached.....I'm wondering why since I don't recall in any history books two more likely/worthy candidates for removal of office.

TONI

Collapse -
Uncle Huey
by duckman / September 17, 2005 10:04 PM PDT

is spinning in his grave hearing about this amount of money being spent for LA.

Collapse -
Hey, hey, the people loved Uncle Huey....
by John Robie / September 18, 2005 11:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Uncle Huey

There are still many bridges with his name above the entrance. It's probably Uncle Dudley LeBlanc who had the cure all Hadacol in Louisiana that is spinning... hearing about that 200 billion.
Wink

Collapse -
Dudley LeBlanc..
by John Robie / September 18, 2005 11:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
Let's face it
by Diana Forum moderator / September 17, 2005 11:53 PM PDT

LA is notorious for graft and corruption and has been for at least decades and perhaps centuries. Nobody objected before because the politicians spread the money around so everybody made a little.

That's why all the refineries and oil rigs are there because the governor didn't worry about little things like environmental impact statements.

Diana

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Gotta Readable Link.? Or sign in info?.
by Rolway / September 18, 2005 8:51 AM PDT
Collapse -
Well, I thank you Ed....
by Rolway / September 18, 2005 9:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Sure do...

Sure I can search, google or what ever, But its much easier if the poster does it.

Sure looks like they have a flock of thieves down there, does'nt it. Looks like the whole state is corrupt. Must of taken lessons from our state.

George

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Link works for me w/out signing in
by duckman / September 18, 2005 10:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Strange?, Doesn't work for me...
by Rolway / September 18, 2005 10:25 AM PDT
Collapse -
Odd things about links
by Roger NC / September 18, 2005 10:46 AM PDT

I've had some work here at sites I know I've never registered on this computer (know cause only a month old). Others don't.

I think it depends on the site setup. Some when the link is to a deeper level in the site let it go through. Others 'catch' the link and take you to their sign in page.

Just a guess, 'cause I've had some that opened that never registered for and some that didn't.

JMO

Roger

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yep, I think its diff. browsers Roger. I use Opera
by Rolway / September 18, 2005 10:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Odd things about links
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) FireFox
by duckman / September 18, 2005 11:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
Privacy invasion people (hijack and personal rant)
by Roger NC / September 18, 2005 9:06 AM PDT

No only do you have to register, the information 'required' includes personal name, address and phone number. How nuts are these people?

Required also, ANNUAL INCOME? Description of my readership of the LA Times? These people are BS nuts. It's one thing to demand registration and email activation, but all this is nonsense. Please NO one regester at such a site, even by proxie.

Email addie is one thing, personal addy and phone is another.

Sure you can probably make stuff up and get away with it, but why would they even expect people to give their addy and phone number out? Jeeze, now the business want to aid in identity thiefs.

What possible need does anyone have of knowing my income just to let me read their website and/or paper. It's just a tool to develop a profile to target you for email, snailmail, and phone telemarketing ads. BTW, filling out such would constitue a 'business relationship' that allows them to put you on a call list even if you're registered on the national do not call list.

JMO

Roger

Collapse -
I have a throwaway Yahoo email addy ...
by Evie / September 18, 2005 9:21 AM PDT

... and sign up with a fake name, fake address, fake phone number, etc. They NEVER check this stuff.

Heck, I'm a 20-something guy making over 100K a year in software Devil

Evie Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I'm a female Doctor with 8 kids and 4 BMWs !
by duckman / September 18, 2005 10:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
Oh I've faked addy's before
by Roger NC / September 18, 2005 10:37 AM PDT

but this one was just outrageous in what it requested in terms of personal information.

I mean, why does a website need my income to let me read it? why does a newspaper?

It was just so outrageous that it triggered my personal gripe, *****&moan, rant button.

I've been told that if you fill out personal information like that (oftern found on product registration cards also) with stuff like fixed income of very low levels and 80 years old, they never bother to send you anything either.

JMO

Roger

Collapse -
I agree ...
by Evie / September 18, 2005 11:10 AM PDT

... just never used full real info anywhere on the internet except for purchases.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
What I usually do in such cases...
by EdH / September 18, 2005 10:27 AM PDT

is paste the headline into Search at Google News. There will usually be another site with the same story and sometimes a "backdoor" link onto the original that bypasses the registration.

These newspapers that require registration crack me up. Institutional egomania.

Collapse -
And NYT is going to require paid subscription ...
by Evie / September 18, 2005 10:47 AM PDT

... to it's cruddy editorials soon LOL!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Who's going to pay for
by duckman / September 18, 2005 11:30 AM PDT

Maureen Dowd? I'll bet even liberals won't

Collapse -
Roger, Roger, Roger........
by John Robie / September 18, 2005 10:28 AM PDT

Yes, but thought you knew how to get around the login crap.....

For LA Times on that link:

Login:
kos@dailykos.com
Password: dailykos

Tell me you never heard of:
http://www.bugmenot.com/
Wink
JR

Collapse -
Well, I never did John...
by Rolway / September 18, 2005 10:38 AM PDT

And thanks for the bugmenot link. Gonna make it a whole lot easier around here now. I don't sign up for nothing on here.

George

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!