Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Lots of subjects today, lots of boredom.

by James Denison / October 7, 2004 3:07 AM PDT

I wonder if we are in a holding pattern on SE, waiting for the next debate? October is such a month of changes. Politics, weather cooling, leaves turning, squirrels trying to scare you off the road, bouncing stocks, oil price fluctuations, and just about the time public schools start sending home those fund raisers for the little ones to rob you with. That latter hasn't happened yet this year, so maybe they wait now till they're out of kiddygarden. Yet,...here we sit....waiting for the next debate.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lots of subjects today, lots of boredom.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lots of subjects today, lots of boredom.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Lots of subjects today, lots of boredom.
by John Robie / October 7, 2004 3:20 AM PDT

Ah, but this is the month (near the end of) we make our long distance auto driving vacation since the cooler nice weather (hurricanes usually over) is arriving. April and May are other months we like for long distance driving.

SE, well is SE, and will never be the social sewing club that a few old time members (& Mods) want it to be. Wink

Collapse -
Can't get any more boring than
by TONI H / October 7, 2004 3:31 AM PDT

me heading back to the doctor's office this morning to find out what I can do about the newly acquired acid reflux (never suffered from it before) that has been driving me crazy since so many of my meds have been changed around over the last couple of months.

Since it is staying at the 'flap' rather than coming up to my throat where it would be something that you know immediately what's going on, the symptoms are close to the same ones I have during a heart attack. So far I'm on Zantac double dose twice a day for a week plus Mylanta super strength to see if that works...if not, then on to Prilosec for a week...if not, then on to prescription crap.

This is getting real old, real fast.......and I have a new-found respect and empathy for people who suffer from this on a regular basis. Had no idea it would be so painful......or so embarrassing when the burping begins that finally relieves it for a while again.

I was told this morning something I didn't know before so maybe others don't know either. Caffeine keeps the flap open.....so I have to go to caffeine free Pepsi, start combining slowly the caffeine coffee with decaf and increase each week the amount of the decaf compared to the caffeine portion. This will prevent caffeine withdrawal, which actually feels like a heart attack coming on. Also...no more chocolate (donuts, candy, cake, ice cream, etc) so there goes my substitute for sex. lol

In the meantime.......if anybody out there suffers from acid reflux, what do you take and how effective is it?

TONI

Collapse -
Re: Can't get any more boring than
by James Denison / October 7, 2004 3:46 AM PDT

Try to identify the culprit that your stomach is reacting to. You probably have a sensitivity to a medicine or a foodstuff. Moving away from standard drinks to something different might even "cure" it, if that particular drink is the culprit. I find that coffee, too much of it, can cause acid buildup, especially when I mixed it in with sugar and wheat. I don't use sugar at all anymore, trying to lose weight, not a diabetic problem. I tend to eat less wheat, but still drink coffee, 2 cups a day. So far doing OK. If the problem is gas however, moving to diet cokes might not work. They retain more gas than the sugared drinks, and release it when ingested quicker. For the rude or crude who wish to enthrall bystanders when out in public, with those long lasting and potentially entertaining burps, diet cokes are the way to go.

Collapse -
You can try sleeping
by Rick S / October 7, 2004 3:49 AM PDT

with your upper body at an angle, sort of like sleeping a on wedge if you get the picture.

I've heard this can help.

Make gravity your friend.

Collapse -
by Glenda / October 7, 2004 4:11 AM PDT

Jim has found the most relief with Axid and Pepto Bismol capsules. He was on Protonixs but the cost was extreme, and with no isurance we started looking. I did find that anything with Rantidine in it is counterproductive if you take any antacid with it:(
Here is one link, I deleted the rest that I had for Jim:( Sorry:(

http://heartburn.about.com/cs/articles/a/Ulcer_Treated.htm

Collapse -
by Rolway / October 7, 2004 5:15 AM PDT

Hi Toni;

Sleeping with a foam wedge and 2 pillows like Rick said works good for me. Also take "AcipHex" 20mg just before a big meal. (Need prescription) Generic name is "Rabeprazole." Plus lots of Rolaids. I have had that crap at times so bad, I would have to sit at the kitchen table with my head on a pillow to sleep. Hope you get relief. Its no fun going thru a session of that pain.

George

Collapse -
Heart attack & acid reflux.....
by John Robie / October 7, 2004 5:50 AM PDT

Hi Toni,

This past February my wife started having chest pains. One day when severe I rushed her to the hospital emergency room. The hospital kept her 4 days running all kinds of test and said her heart was fine, and the only thing they could come up with is that she was having Spasm of the Esophagus. They put her on Prilosec, 20mg, one pill each morning before she eats breakfast. They also said for her to keep the head of her bed elevated 4 inches while sleeping. Since we sleep in the same bed she uses two pillows instead of raising the bed. Prilosec can also be purchased OTC. It works for her..no more sharp pains. The doctor said this is what is prescribed for acid reflux.

Collapse -
Re: Heart attack & acid reflux.....
by Evie / October 8, 2004 12:31 AM PDT

Hi John,

This may not be a problem but when I stay over at my folks their bed is crap on my back. So I sleep on an angle with pillows. Works pretty well except that I move around a bit and often "lose" the pillows. If your wife has that problem she might want to look into one of the foam wedges designed just for that purpose.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Prescription strength Prilosec treats chronic GERD best
by Catgic / October 7, 2004 9:07 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Evie / October 8, 2004 12:28 AM PDT

Hi Toni,

My hubby used to take Protonix which worked (better than any OTC stuff that he tried), but now takes Aciphex. I'm not quite sure why the change, but it works well for him too.

However, considering that this seems to coincide with the mixing up of your meds (and I'm wondering if the niacin might be the culprit?), you might want to find the cause before adding yet another med to the regime.

Best of luck! I know it's no fun, and with heart problems it must drive you crazy as some of the symptoms seem to mimic heart trouble so well. AAMOF, it took 11 months after his "heart attack" that they realized my hubby never had one!

Evie Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.