PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Lost sound in ATI Radeon 9000 TV display

by gailjohnson / April 8, 2006 10:55 PM PDT

Hi all,

I've got an ATI Radeon 9000 with 64mb ram running on a Windows XP box (AMD not Intel) and have recently lost the sound in the TV setting only.

I have normal computer sounds, as well as Windows Media Player, ITunes, etc. but nothing when the TV display is used. Also, the picture is a lot shakier than it use to be and sometimes randomly goes into slow motion.

Not sure when it happened since I haven't used it for a while, but I'm assuming some other program I installed messed things up. When I first tried to launch it, it wouldn't work at all so I reinstalled the ATI software - still nothing. Updated to the most recent drivers, remote wonder software, etc. and got the picture back but no sound. ATI knowledge base offers no solution.

Most recently installed software is graphics related (photo and video editing) and includes ULead Video Studio, Corel Photo Album 6, Ding and all Windows security updates except SP 2 and Malicious tool remover (tried when it first came out but Comcast doesn't like it on reboots).

The only hardware changes made was a Firewire card installed and a new wireless router for use with Vonage.

Any suggestions would be appreciated since baseball season is back and we'll be using the TV more.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lost sound in ATI Radeon 9000 TV display
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lost sound in ATI Radeon 9000 TV display
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you lost the sound...
by nathanpsz2 / April 8, 2006 11:57 PM PDT

...try reinstalling the drivers for the sound card or onboard sound or whatever you use.

Collapse -
Long shot
by Tien-Avenger / April 9, 2006 12:59 PM PDT

This maybe a long shot and i'm not trying (very hard) to insult your intelligence but how are you connecting tv to your video card?

You stated that you have all your computer sounds but no TV sounds...sounds to me like you got your video input in but no audio input.

input the audio or read the manual

Collapse -
Some if not all of the ATI AIW cards
by lacsr / April 9, 2006 9:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Long shot

require an audio lead to be plugged into the input of the audio card for sound. Recheck that by unplugging and reinserting. You should hear some static noises when doing this. If you still do not have sound, try a different jack- you may have out it in the wrong one. If still not sound, try a look in the audio control panel, it may be switched off by accident.

Collapse -
Thanks for replys
by gailjohnson / April 10, 2006 2:50 AM PDT

Thanks for the replys folks. First, I had updated sound card drivers before posting - I should have may that clear.

Second, the video and sound input connections are correct and the same as they have been for about 2 1/2 years now. Cable from outside into the cable outlet on the card, sound output from the video card to the "line-in" on the sound card as per the manual.

I made some progress on the sound issue. Apparently, everytime the TV program is launched, it is muting the "line-in". I unmute it, close TV, reopen it and it's muted again.

So my question now is, is there a way (registry hack or whatever) to disable the mute function of the "line in" so I don't have to go thru this each time? And which software might I have installed that would cause this change after all this time? Or could it be caused by having VOIP for phone service (I just got this in Feb) even though I'm not using a microphone or anything? I have a regular phone hooked up the router to use.

Also, still have the slow-mo picture and can't seem to get that corrected. Sound is right on target with regular TV but the picture is at least half speed. I have already uninstalled all ATI software and reinstalled and it's still a problem.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?