Computer Help forum

Question

Lost Sound

by colinito / May 19, 2015 7:08 AM PDT

Hello Everyone,

Using W7,Ultimate. Creative speakers

I have lost the sound.

On checking - by clicking on the speaker icon at the bottom right - I am informed that the device is not plugged in.

The plug-in socket is at the back of the tower.and has been working for many years, and the plug is firmly inserted.

The speakers are live and their 'on' light is on.

I have removed the plug and re-inserted it but the troubleshooter still informs me that they are not plugged in.

I have switched off the computer and back on again - they still do not work.

The Device manager informs me that "This device is working `properly"

Not quite sure where to go from here, any advice would be gratefully received!

Thanks,

Colinito.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lost Sound
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lost Sound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: speakers
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 19, 2015 7:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Lost Sound

I'd check the speakers on another PC/laptop and the plug-in socket on the tower with a headphone. Just to be sure that it's something in the PC, not in the speakers.

Device manager only checks the drivers, not the device itself.

Kees

Collapse -
Lost Sound - speakers
by colinito / May 19, 2015 6:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: speakers

Hello again Kees,

Thanks for your answer.

I tried headphones plugged into the green speaker socket at the rear - no sound.

After much time and difficulty untangling all the wires at the rear of the tower,(!) I managed to attach the speakers to my laptop - they work well.

I still see the white cross on the red background by the speaker icon at the bottom right of the taskbar, indicating no sound and on the check, I am informed that 'The peripheal does not appear to be plugged in ----etc'

Yestarday, I had the idea to use the CD to re-install the speakers. But I seem to recall that some years ago I was informed that the CD was no longer valid (something to do with drivers ) and not of any use and I think I destroyed it. So I can't go down that road!

Regards,

Colinito.

Collapse -
Re: no sound
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 19, 2015 6:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Lost Sound - speakers

First I'd try if a simple shutdown-reboot helps. That's simple.

Then I would try to see if the sound works if I boot from a Linux Live disk and use vlcplayer (or whatever player it contains) to see if that works. That's rather simple if you happen to have such a disk, but more complex otherwise.

If both tests fail, it's a hardware issue. Then I'd buy a simple (and cheap) USB sound 'card' and use that in stead of my current sound device.
If it works in Linux and not in Windows, and I couldn't easily find the cause, I'd do the same.

Kees

Collapse -
No sound.
by colinito / May 20, 2015 12:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: no sound

Thank you Kees,

I tried the shutdown and re-boot - not successful.

I went to Creative's website and the speakers are no longer available - no surprise there! - and I couldn't find a way to obtain the online equivalent of an Installation CD. so I left that.

I have top leave the hopuse now, when I come back I am going to remove the jacks from the computer and disable the the speakers from the list of installed items under Device Manager and shut down. I will then open up again, put the jacks back and try to enable them then try again to update the Driver Software. I will come back to let you know the result.

Regards

Colinito.

Collapse -
ADDITIONAL
by colinito / May 20, 2015 12:39 AM PDT
In reply to: No sound.

Sorry, I forgot to mention this in my last message.

Not sure about a "Linux Live disc" I don't have linux - (or am I being ignorant?)

I don't have "Vic Player" only WMP, I know it is a free programme, do I need to download it, and if I have to obtain a Linux Live Disc, where would I get one?

Colinito

Collapse -
VLC player
by pgc3 / May 20, 2015 12:51 AM PDT
In reply to: ADDITIONAL

Download VLC it is the easiest to deal with. It is possible that it is an internal hardware issue, since it sounds as if you are using the audio (mini plug) input on the tower. Get a hold of a USB input headset or USB input speakers and see what luck you have. Perhaps you have a friend who has a headset (USB input) that you could use for test..that is something to try. Many of us have gotten away from the old mini input systems and have gone to USB..or depending on set up SPDIF digital.

Collapse -
No Sound + Additional
by colinito / May 20, 2015 11:19 PM PDT
In reply to: VLC player

Hello Kees and pgc3,

Thank you both for your messages.

I followed the plan that I wrote about and, for some unknown reason,. as soon as I plugged the jack in, the computer 'recognised' it and the mic icon appeared without the red/white cross. The sound is now working.

I shall enquire about getting USB input speakers and also headset. If I get one or both of them I will download VLC. (I had it many years ago and during a rather unpleasant "infection" I got rid of all 'unnecessary' programmes. As VLC duplicated WMP, I deleted it.)

Thank you both, once again, for your welcome assistance.

I shall try to close the thread.

Regards

Colinito.

Collapse -
Headset/speakers
by pgc3 / May 20, 2015 11:34 PM PDT
In reply to: No Sound + Additional

VLC works well for most, I have used it, along with other players over the years. For the money, the Logitech headsets are great..their speakers are also hard to beat, for the money. I have a few systems and ALL peripheral devices are Logitech, kybds, mice speakers etc. I have YET to have a failure and I've been using the stuff for years.

Collapse -
No sound - Headset/speakers
by colinito / May 21, 2015 3:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Headset/speakers

Funny you should say that, pgc3, but my keyboard, mouse and webcam are also logitech!

I am satisfied with the sound reproduction of the speakers and will keep them if possible for now.

I have not yet had a problem with them - I don't think this latest problem was anything to do with the speakers, as they functioned well when removed and plugged into my laptop. The cause will likely remain a mystery! (Rather like computers are to me!!)

Thanks,

Colinito.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.