HolidayBuyer's Guide

Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Lost product key

by wililink30 / September 17, 2009 4:29 PM PDT

Hi, I just installed MS OFFICE HOME AND STUDENT 2007 from my back up disc but I don't have the product key. I bought and downloaded it from WINDOWS MARKETPLACE in 2007 in late 2007. Well, can't find the receipt for it and neither can I find the confirmation email. Now, I am not paying twice for something that I bought legally. Microsoft did away with the DIGITAL LOCKER so I can't even recover it from there. They should still have the records of my purchase for OFFICE 2007, right? Like I said, I bought it legally and I'm not paying for it again. Is there a way to find my product key using another program? I did contact them through an email, so I'll be checking for there response. I sure this has happened many times. I would appreciate any help or advice that is given and suggested. THANK YOU Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lost product key
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lost product key
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: lost product key.
by Kees Bakker / September 17, 2009 7:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Lost product key

First let's see: you legally buy a laptop and you lose it. You aren't going to pay for a new laptop because you bought it legally? I don't believe that.

The product key is your registry, unless - of course - you have formatted the disk somewhere between typing it in late 2007 and now. You don't tell about that. But it could still be in the backup copy of your registry. You didn't tell if you have one.

If the product key is nowhere on your hard disk, nor on a backup, not on the install CD or its case, nor on paper, nor in your webmail, then it's gone. All you can do then is contact Microsoft and see how much you have to pay for another one, given the circumstances.

Kees

Collapse -
LOST PRODUCT KEY
by wililink30 / September 17, 2009 11:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: lost product key.

First I have to state that I have a DELL PC and not a laptop. Second I didn't steal anything. You are right in saying that I didn't state why I lost the OFFICE 2007 product key, and to tell you the truth it was late when I posted my question and just briefly state my problem, sorry about that. For history on how I bought OFFICE '07. I bought OFFICE '07 HOME AND STUDENT in late '07 through WINDOWS MARKETPLACE as a digital download and made a backup copy and printed the receipt and now I can't find the receipt, and never wrote down the product key. Now, the reason I reinstalled OFFICE '07 is because a couple of days ago my PC crashed in the middle of a WINDOWS UPDATE, which resulted in a windows registry error. After trying to boot it up, WINDOWS (VISTA) would not load up. Windows tried to repair it on start up but when prompted to choose a restore point I accidentally hit enter on start normally. The blue screen came up for a split second and then it would shut down and restart. So, I pressed F8 as it booted up and tried to run in safe mode, safe mode with networking and safe mode with command prompt. Did not work, it would go through the process of loading up and just shut down. I tried booting up the computer using the VISTA backup disc provided by DELL through the boot menu. I loaded windows from the dvd drive with the backup disc. Once it loaded I tried to restore it from an earlier point, that also would not work. So, I decided to just start from scratch and reinstalled VISTA and now the computer's back to normal, albeit, with everything I had on it lost. So, after letting Windows install all the updates available I reinstalled OFFICE '07 but now I have the problem of having no product key because I didn't write it down. Now since Microsoft did away with the DIGITAL LOCKER I have no way of getting the product key for OFFICE '07. Now what do I do? Please, help.

Collapse -
Let me be more blunt.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2009 11:52 PM PDT
In reply to: LOST PRODUCT KEY

Microsoft holds the answer to this one. Call it in.

Collapse -
Time to contact Microsoft.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2009 10:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Lost product key

They hold the answer on this one. However I have had great luck in this regard since I register my software.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.