Alert

Lost my windows xw sp3 CD;Can I get for free a new software?

I lost my windows xp sp3 profesional cd and now I need it to repair my pc (NTLDR is missing error), It is possible to get a new xp sp3 (donwload on another computer and then install it on the malfunction PC ) ?

I've heard that because my windows xp was the originall cd I can get a new copy using my motherboard info ,get the software (new xp sp3), and then make a new cd ; it is this possible???

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Lost my windows xw sp3 CD;Can I get for free a new software?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Lost my windows xw sp3 CD;Can I get for free a new software?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: new CD

Depends on the kind of XP (pre-installed or not) and (if retail) if you registered it. If you're a Technet member, you could still download XP. I don't know of any other download sources.

You might be able to order a replacement CD with the manufacturer. Or you might be able to use another XP CD (friend, family, etc) for such a basic repair only. You don't know until you tried.

Kees

- Collapse -
repply

I was wondering if i can get a new software from mircosoft by using my motherboard information. The operating sistem was installed preinstall but they give me the xp cd that they used.

- Collapse -
I don't think so.

But if you still have the certificate of authenticity with the license key printed on it attached to your PC Microsoft might send you a replacement CD.

Kees

- Collapse -
Yes, you can use this restore disk of Win. XP.

Make sure you are connected to the internet while making a 'Repair Installation' attempt of your pre-installed O.S. of XP. When it gets to ask you if your want to reach out and download the updates and upgrades to the setup files + all necessary other ones for doing a proper re-installation of your O.S., check the box 'yes'.

Make sure that you do have SP2 installed before attempting to install SP3(via the link given in this topic thread). 2008 device drivers installed or newer needed for the SP3 installation + over 1Gb. of RAM in your machine for the installation of SP3's successful status. Having a Bios dating 2006 and 2007 will help greatly for the stability of the device drivers of that time period.

Good Luck fixing your XP machine.

- Collapse -
start using xp again.
- Collapse -
I doubt if that's the full installable XP setup.

It's just the service pack to be applied to an exising OS as far as I know.

Kees

CNET Forums