Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Lost My Document files

by taichime / November 19, 2003 5:08 PM PST

Hi,
This is the first time I have posted but have been really frustrated.
A few weeks ago I noticed that many of the files in my "My Documents" folder were missing. I did not delete them.It is only the files with names starting from H-Z that are missing. The files starting with A-G still are in the folder. The weird thing is that I can still access some of these other files if I am in Photoshop and click on "My Recent Documents".
At about the same time my I/P hangs after first starting and I can't close it by Cntl-Alt-Dlt but only by restarting the computer. The only way I can access the Internet is by going through my HP support link which automatically logs onto the Internet.(This happened once before and I had to uninstall the I/P software and reinstall it.)
Background data: Windows XP, HP Pavilion model 523n,
80GB h/d, 512 MB memory.
I have tried to delete some unneeded programs. I tried to do a memory test but the computer said it was unable to run the test.
I did a system restore back to a date beyond which I last accessed one of the missing files but they did not come back into the folder.
Would appreciate any and all help.
Thanks, Cheryl

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lost My Document files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lost My Document files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Lost My Document files
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2003 7:55 PM PST
In reply to: Lost My Document files

I did run into someone who didn't know how to scroll down a detailed view in Explorer. Your post is about what one could expect if they didn't know how to scroll the view.

Tell more. Is Windows new for you?

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Lost My Document files
by taichime / November 20, 2003 5:14 AM PST

No Windows is not new to me. I have done professional digital imaging and photo restoration for 4 years and I know how to scroll.

Collapse -
by David Chan / November 19, 2003 8:03 PM PST

Did you do a search for those files to see if they still exist?

Start | Search.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Lost My Document files
by taichime / November 20, 2003 5:30 AM PST

Yes, I did a search for some of the files that are missing but they did not show up on the search. I can still access some of them thru Photoshop by opening My Recent Documents. Another thing is that if I try to save a file starting with a letter higher than "G", it will not save to My Documents (don't know where it goes?). I created a folder named a-photo restoration to replace my Photo Restoration folder which I can access by My Recent Documents. I then have to individually save each file into the folder starting with "A". The folders that do show up still have files that start with all the letters.
Because many of my files are large graphic ones, I'm thinking it may be a memory problem but I can't figure out why, when I run a memory test, the computer states it is unable to run test.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Lost My Document files
by David Chan / November 20, 2003 5:43 AM PST
Collapse -
by Morpheus / November 20, 2003 6:40 PM PST

r-studio 2.0 will recover anything

Collapse -
r-studio 2.0
by hammer3111 / January 9, 2005 5:48 AM PST

how do i work this?
thanks

Collapse -
by sevenupdude23 / November 22, 2003 8:22 AM PST

A really easy way to fix problems that just appear like this is System Restore. Unlike Windows ME, XP's System Restore is very easy to use.

1. Go to Start-All Programs-Accessories-System Tools-System Restore
2. Select "Restore My Computer to an earlier time" and press Next.
3. Select a date on which these documents were there.
4. Follow through and answer the prompts appropriatly.

Collapse -
sevenupdude!
by dfwpilot / November 22, 2003 11:31 AM PST

Read the oryginal post again :((
"I did a system restore back to a date beyond which I last accessed one of the missing files but they did not come back into the folder"

Collapse -
It's possible....
by Keith Marcotte / November 22, 2003 12:29 PM PST

that you accidently moved them to another folder (I once accidently moved an entire directory). Since they are showing up in "recent documents", they're still on your PC somewhere.

Collapse -
its not possible...
by hammer3111 / January 9, 2005 5:42 AM PST
In reply to: It's possible....

because the new files named with g-z also dissappear...
i have a similar problem only its all files in my my documents folder... quite distressing actually... for now i've just started using another folder but i would like to restore those files...
i have been able to download r-studio 2.0 and am about to try using it...
the other suggested programs could not be downloaded at the websites given...

Collapse -
Desperate ? Try the unusual and...
by Papa Echo / January 9, 2005 9:57 AM PST

...seemingly unconnected.

# See whether they appear in Safe Mode.
# Enable "show all files" and then search.
# Log in as the main Administrtor, and other user accounts.
# Open up other users' Documents....
# Ran a "check disk" for invalid file names....
# Ran sfc.
# etc.

Its crazy, but you never know....

Collapse -
Re: Lost My Document files
by mannyman / January 9, 2005 1:16 PM PST

Just in case you haven't found a solution.
Try doing a search for "jpg" files.
Start>Search>For Files or Folders and type *.jpg or *.doc

Collapse -
Two other things
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 9, 2005 6:42 PM PST

to try.

You say that these files appear in Photoshop "My Recent Documents"

If Photoshop uses the same "Recent" folder that Windows does, open up WIndows Explorer ad navigate to "Documents and Settings > Username, (Your username), > Recent, and see if there are any shortcuts to your files there. If so, right click a shortcut, select Properties, and under the "Shortcut" tab, click "Find Target".

If that doesn't work try this. Open up Photoshop, and open one of the recent files. Goto File > Save As, and see where Photoshop attempts to save the file to. It should try to save the file in the same folder it opened it from. If it does, then that is the folder where the original file is. Try that for each file in the Recent list.

Good luck,

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.