Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

lost my display - help!

by inosent1 / May 24, 2007 7:32 AM PDT

hi

i had to reinstall Win XP and my display settings were all messed up.

i went to

start
control panel
appearance and themes
display
settings
advanced
monitor

but when i went to change the properties that part of the window was greyed out, so i am not able to make any changes

i went to the adapter tab, but all the data from 'Chip type' down to 'Bios information' said "<unavailable>"

so then i clikced on adaptr properties

start
control panel
appearance and themes
display
settings
advanced
adapter
properties
general

and then i went down to the 'device usage' selection list and selected 'do not use this device'

brilliant, huh? i was thinking if i restarted it might prompt me for the drivers (which i have) but now the screen is just blank.

the 'good news' is i have another OS instaled on another drive so i *can* get into the drive where the OS is installed that when it boots gives me a blank screen.

does anybody know how to tweak this setting manually? or do i have to do a blind man's drill to re-enable the display?

and any help on restorng my display settings and being able to install the right drivers would be great too

THANKS!!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: lost my display - help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: lost my display - help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Video drivers
by spydermanusn / May 24, 2007 10:16 AM PDT

assuming you're able to get your display back in XP, you need to update your display drivers.

Right click My Computer>Manage>Device Manager>Display Adapters. Most of the time, these drivers are provided by Windows Update. If you have onboard Video, go to your computer manufacturer's support page and look for display adapter drivers. If you're using a PCI/AGP video card, go to that manufacturer's site.

Also, I just reread your post. Since you can't get display, you should first try to repair your XP installation. Here's a good resource on that...

http://www.tweakxp.com/article36955.aspx

Collapse -
have you tried safe mode
by mark04276 / May 24, 2007 11:00 AM PDT

if not right before windows starts to load at bootup hit the F8 key and then select safe mode from list. Sometimes it is easier to just keep on hitting the F8 key so you get it in time. Safe mode does not load drivers so this may help. If you get a display then you can uninstall the display driver that is there and reboot and then it should detect new video where you can add the correct drivers.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.