Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

lost music after OS reinstall

by fidola13 / March 13, 2015 1:20 AM PDT

so my laptop got a virus a few months ago and I reinstalled the OS and iTunes as well. however the music files that downloaded with the updated iTunes did not include all of the music I purchased. I still have all my songs on my ipod nano and they also show up on a separate pc that belongs to the "home sharing" group of iTunes. however I don't really use that pc and want all my tunes on the laptop. ive searched my c drive but those music files are gone. how can I recover those songs onto my laptop. I understand that I need to reinstall music from cds but these songs were purchased. I did try to download available from I tunes store but it didn't include all my music for some reason. any help appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: lost music after OS reinstall
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: lost music after OS reinstall
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
While the big question is why no backup. There is iRip
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2015 1:35 AM PDT

If what you want to save is on the iPod look at iRip and read how to use it BEFORE you plug in the iPod.

There are now so many ways to purchase that I can't guess why it's not in your iTunes Apple account. You may have to ask them. But iRip is something folk use to get tunes from pods to the iTunes library.

Time to start a backup/restore system?
Bob

Collapse -
irip
by fidola13 / March 13, 2015 4:45 AM PDT

I downloaded irip but it wont work for some reason. I keep getting some error message & have followed the instructions but it still doesn't work. unfortunately I hadn't backed up my pc for awhile.

Collapse -
Without some messages shared I doubt anyone can help.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2015 4:57 AM PDT
In reply to: irip

At least you have not wiped out the ipod yet.
Bob

Collapse -
transfer itunes music?
by fidola13 / March 13, 2015 6:16 AM PDT

is there any way to backup my iTunes from my desktop (os xp) to my laptop (win 7)? my desktop as stated previously still has all the library intact. thanks sara

Collapse -
Re: transfer iTunes data
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 13, 2015 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: transfer itunes music?
https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht203977 tellls about the method they recommend. Do I understand correctly did you didn't follow the usual backup methods? Why not?

But just copying all iTunes data from one PC to the other might do the same. Worth a try.

Kees
Collapse -
found files
by fidola13 / March 13, 2015 6:52 AM PDT

not sure how stupid I should feel since its been along time since I have actually used iTunes due to illness but.......I did find ALL my music files listed under a drop down menu that listed my computer and my "sara's iTunes" folders. not exactly sure why there are those options but at least I found all my stuff. and yes everything has been backed up Happy

thanks for all the assistance. sara

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.