HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Lost looking for a good slide show program in forums advise!

by mike62 / October 22, 2007 2:10 AM PDT

I have read various post in the forums and some are similar to my needs but more elaborate too.

I am running XP Home at my home laptop and need a free or reasonable and easy to use program to make slide shows for our church. All I want to do is have the ability to do title pages, various transitions, and because pictures will have lots of color the ability to put my text below the picture rather than ON the picture.

I have Roxio, Nero express, and Photo Story 3 at home. I do not have Powerpoint at home for use and can't spend the money to buy it for what I need. I spent about an hour last night working with the new Impress on OpenOffice but did not find it easy to use.

I prefer not to spend over $50.00 and of course a free program is good since I really only need BASIC features for this slide show. Sound is not even needed.

Any suggestions for this criteria?

Also, if I burn it to DVD I need the ability to be able to loop the program.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lost looking for a good slide show program in forums advise!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lost looking for a good slide show program in forums advise!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You bet
by PKsteven / October 22, 2007 2:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
You might copy and paste your
by Dango517 / October 22, 2007 10:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
Yeah
by PKsteven / October 22, 2007 4:15 PM PDT

<<<question here to this link for a better response:>>>

I didn't see Photo story listed , at a glance thought it was Photo shop.

Collapse -
by ajparr / October 26, 2007 6:43 PM PDT

I can highly recommend Studio 10 although they have now released Studio 11. I have made several photo discs with Various Music tracks and other video and audio clips added. It is really easy to use and the results are very very professional.

Hope that helps

Collapse -
Slide Shows
by WAArnold / October 27, 2007 4:46 AM PDT

If you aren't looking to do anything fancy, IRFANVIEW is a good one.

Collapse -
slide shows
by larry1942 / October 27, 2007 5:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Slide Shows

I have Roxio and am able to create slide shows with sound background onto a cd, but when I try to play, the DVD player gives me a disc error. Do slide shows with sound need to be put on a DVD disc. BTW, my DVD player handles JPEG cds just fine.

Collapse -
I'll second that
by Zouch / October 27, 2007 7:25 AM PDT

Yes, I use Irfanview too, freeware. I particularly like the ability to create a .EXE file to run the slideshow without the need for any installed software on the target PC. Sequential, random or loop shows are options available when creating the show.

To put text below the slide, just expand the canvas and insert the text into the expansion.

Collapse -
Better slide shows
by lyrik_heaven_dk / October 27, 2007 10:35 PM PDT

Can be obtained on a Mac by using PhotoPresenter.

Slideshows in a variety of styles. Can be saved as films, which again can be used as trailers on home movies.

Furthermore they can be saved as ScreenSavers.

Greets
Jens Erik Bech
Denmark

Collapse -
Re: Better slide shows...
by ChuckT / October 28, 2007 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Better slide shows

...get a Mac.
GrinWinkLaughSilly

Collapse -
Re: the ability to put my text below
by ChuckT / October 27, 2007 7:00 AM PDT

Most slide show software will show images, but usually it is just the images, not some additional text below.

To do what you want, you ought to use something more along the lines of PowerPoint. With that you can have text appear on the image, under the image, "fly in" with various effects on the image and the text.

You, however, additionally put the requirement of "Free." In that case look at OpenOffice, a free Office-like suite that has PowerPoint capabilities in the Impress module.

If you want a free PowerPoint viewer for those created .PPS (PowerPoint Slideshows) you can also get the free PowerPoint Viewer 2003 from Microsoft.

Collapse -
Power Point
by MomLou / October 28, 2007 3:16 AM PDT

I really like Power Point for making slide shows there are so many backgrounds,timings, the way the slides and fonts come in, the length of each slide, the music for each slide. There are so many different things you can do with this program; it is only limited by your imagination.

Collapse -
PowerPoint mass slide import
by saelig / October 29, 2007 1:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Power Point

Hi MomLou, can you please remind me if it's possible to mass import a large number of images directly into PowerPoint - one image per slide? All I really care about is mass import and a very smooth disolve from one image to the next, preferably with a user-definable control over the overlap duration. Thanks for your help!

Collapse -
Inserting pics into Power Point
by MomLou / August 12, 2011 4:44 AM PDT

Go to the top and hit insert, then picture, from file. And your set to go.

Collapse -
music from different tracks burned on 1 CD
by boyajm / January 26, 2008 8:17 AM PST
In reply to: Power Point

I have a PP show all set for a wedding Party. I have 4 different musictracks that I want to play on different slides. No matter what I try , only the first track will play. I have PP 2003. I have tried to add the sound/audio individually at the slide where I want the new song to start, played will all things on timings and options, an no luck. Can I do this on PP or should I use another software program?

Collapse -
CHEAT!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2008 11:00 PM PST

Just rip those 4 tracks, put them in some playlist and play them with winamp in a loop. Start that, then your powerpoint and you are done.

Collapse -
I have started using picasaweb and Love it..
by Ladymaggic / October 28, 2007 3:04 PM PDT
http://picasaweb.google.com/ladymaggic
I have forgotten if it has www or not....but picasaweb is working well for me right now.

I also use picasa to download from the camera..then it posts the images onto Picasaweb, and then creates the slideshow, with an embed code for the website..

you can see the slideshows I created on the Photographs and slideshow Forum on my site... http://Activeenglish.biz

I just like the convenience and ease of doing it all on one site, and posting it too.. I use the slideshows with my students...and I take a lot of photos for vocabulary and language for students in China and around the world..
Collapse -
by JK-8 / November 15, 2007 7:21 PM PST
Collapse -
Slide show recommendition
by billzhills / November 16, 2007 10:43 PM PST
ArcSoft DVD SlideShow .

Bill
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.