The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Lost is finally free on iTunes!!!

by kevinor / March 2, 2006 3:50 AM PST

iTunes is going to have ad-supported free downloads of Lost and other shows, according to podcastpublishing.com. The article also states that there has been no drop in traditional viewing of the show since the beginning of the iTunes experiment.

Here's the link to the article:
http://www.podcastpublishing.com/public/item/117529

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lost is finally free on iTunes!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lost is finally free on iTunes!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Awsome
by petb264 / March 2, 2006 3:55 AM PST

The link did not work but it sounds awsome!

Peter

Collapse -
Here's the page's body
by kevinor / March 2, 2006 4:06 AM PST

Taken from: http://www.podcastpublishing.com/public/item/117529 at about 1pm Mountain Time on March 2, 2006.

iTunes Soon To Have Popular TV Shows For Free
Ad-supported iTunes Video of Your Favorite Shows
iTunes has finally come full-circle. Their latest announcement indicates ABC will soon be offering podcast advertisingfree TV shows, for download, supported only by advertising.

Currently, a typical 30 minute TV episode download on iTunes is $1.99. They'll continue to offer these pay-as-you-go episodes, sans commercials, for all their viewers who abhor advertisements.

ABC CEO Bob Iger suggested they were trying different business models. They are staying open to see what works and what doesn't.

They were excited to see NO decrease in offline viewership, even as shows like '24' and 'The Office' (FOX and NBC, respectively) saw amazing popularity on the music/podcast service. In fact, Grey's Anatomy ended up just behind the Winter Olympics in Neilsen ratings (pretty impressive), even with the show's iTunes popularity.

Look for 'Lost', 'Desperate Housewives' and 'Grey's Anatomy' (my favorite) to be offered, for free, with commercial sponsorship, soon. No exact dates were given.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Awesome. Thanks, dude.
by MacHugger / March 2, 2006 4:12 AM PST
In reply to: Here's the page's body
Collapse -
Not Surprised
by pkscout / March 2, 2006 7:31 PM PST

I'm not really surprised that there was no drop off of viewership on TV. Watching Lost solely on the iPods little screen or on your TV at a really low quality isn't really an option. I'm curious what will happen if they offer downloads of HD quality with AC3 audio (surround sound) for free with ads. Then folks might stop watching the TV show, and that would mostly hurt the local franchises who put in local ads.

I have a TiVo, so I probably wouldn't download the shows even then, but it would be nice to have that as a backup in case the TiVo fails (which it does from time to time) or if I have a three-way conflict during a time slot (which basically never happens). Right now I just get the shows off BitTorrent if either of those things happen.

Collapse -
woot!
by jhpope / March 2, 2006 11:48 PM PST

thats awesome! i just got my girlfriend into lost. we're almost done the first season...now she won't have to wait till season 2 comes out on dvd

Collapse -
Hmmmm
by pkscout / March 3, 2006 10:41 AM PST

The link seems to bring up a blank page now. I also just checked (because our TiVo crapped out half way through Lost) and the free version is not on the iTunes Store, at least not that I can see.

So, it's off to the BT to get Lost.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?