General discussion

Lost Internet Connectivity after Virus warning

My Dell 8400 suddenly lost the ability to connect to the internet after a failed virus attack that was quarantined by my Trend Micro Software. It keeps saying that connectivity is low or non existent, and the IP address is not my modem/router IP address. It pings back when I send a 127.0.0.1 output, but not with my home IP. I've connected and disconnected the modem/router many times, but the error is still there. My IP provider Time Warner said I needed to reinstall the Broadband Driver. Does this make any sense? Also, how can I do that if I don't have home access to the internet and those drivers? Is this sound reasoning. I am frustrated and exhausted trying to solve this problem. Can anyone help? I'm running on Windows XP

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Lost Internet Connectivity after Virus warning
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Lost Internet Connectivity after Virus warning
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Dell 8400 connectivity Prob

To add to the previous problems information base, I got an HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Connectivity error when I tan the network diagnostics. What does this mean, and what can I do to fix this?

- Collapse -
Re: lost internet connectivity

Things to try:
1. System restore back to before the infection started.
2. Download (on another PC) Winsockfix and see if that helps. For example from http://www.brothersoft.com/winsockfix-66663.html
3. sfc /scannow (the system file checker).
4. Find your Windows XP CD and do a repair install.
5. Find your system recovery media and bring the PC back to factory conditions.

Kees

CNET Forums