Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Lost in Wireless Land

by bboseley / January 21, 2006 10:37 AM PST

After years of being a ?computer person? ? including programming, software design, etc., I now find myself LOST in the wireless world. (Retired 10 years ago)

I just purchased a new notebook with wireless capability. I actually had no intention of using wireless until the window popped up and informed me of wireless connections in range. One was my neighbor?s satellite signal - security enabled ? not that I would use it. Another was a nonsecure connection identified only by a 12 digit number. I have no idea who is providing the network or where it is. However, I can connect to the net most of the time albeit with a low strength. Still much faster than dial-up!

First, am I in fact stealing from someone? Is it a bad practice to use ?any available connection?

Now for the part I really don?t understand. Is there a way to provide my own wireless connection with no Lan? What does an Access Point consist of? I assume I can?t just buy a $100 AP and say goodbye to ISP?s?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lost in Wireless Land
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lost in Wireless Land
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
YES, You are stealing, its illegal in some
by Melati Hitam / January 21, 2006 6:28 PM PST
In reply to: Lost in Wireless Land

country/state.

Access Point is only a device to receive/transmit the signal from your ISP to your computer.

So still need an ISP...

But todays... there are many FREE Wireless provider..

You have to know that the signal you receive is from a free service or belong to someone that didn't turn on their security.

Collapse -
legal question is ambiguous
by charlie.brent / January 22, 2006 9:16 AM PST

You might want to take a look at this link:

http://blogs.chron.com/techblog/archives/2005/07/wifi_scarfing_i.html

Unless someone can point me to an actual case where there was a prosecution under current law I would say that I am not convinced that it is stealing.

Additionally, if you can access a wireless network simply because they were braodcasting their ssid and your wireless card was able to connect, wouldn't that,by definition, tell you that their security was not enabled?

Collapse -
Yes there is people in Florida...
by Melati Hitam / January 22, 2006 2:18 PM PST
Collapse -
Setting up your own wireless
by LarryH / January 30, 2006 1:26 AM PST
In reply to: Lost in Wireless Land

Most people won't bother with wireless over a dial-up connection. If you had a high-speed connection it would probably be worth it. There are, however, devices that provide wireless access over a dial-up connection and do the dialing on the access point. It all depends on your need for speed and wireless connectivity.

Collapse -
which wireless service?
by Mapski / February 4, 2006 9:33 AM PST

I travel regularly to four locations, am in business for myself so always have my laptop. Instead of paying to have dial-up at each, trying to use mother-in-laws, etc. I want to have wireless which I could also use during all that airport time. What do I need to look for in a wireless provider, find one that services the areas I travel to and is there an easy way to compare? Mapski

Collapse -
Most Airport and Large Cities, Hotels, etc.
by Melati Hitam / February 4, 2006 5:16 PM PST

Have free Hotspot (wireless) that you can use..

And there are so many places that offers you the Paid connection.. i.e. Starbuck cafe and others... which you only pay when you needed.

If you go to a place that don't have it .. then you need some Satelite connection, that you can connect from anywhere.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.