Storage forum

General discussion

Lost important files, HELP!!

by Raccoon1400 / January 15, 2009 11:05 AM PST

Here's the story:
My friend brought his computer to my house and we did some repairs. We had to reinstall windows, so we backed up his files onto my external drive, and deleted them when we were done. His computer has a master and slave drive. We switched the master hard drive with a different one, and took the old master and put it in a different machine. He takes the tower home, and while setting it up, trips over it and now the slave drive ticks and fails to work. For some reason, after this he reinstalled windows on the master drive, erasing backups that I had coppied to it of some of the files. The old master drive also had these files at one point. This hard drive was formated from ntfs to ext3 and had ubuntu installed on it. Most of the files have been recovered from the external hard drive using this http://www.majorgeeks.com/Restoration_d4474.html resoration program. There are still some important files that are missing, and do not appear in the restoration program.

Here's all the drives that had this data:
My external ntfs: had most files recovered from it, but these ones don't appear
new master: windows reinstalled on it, and lots of files coppied onto it
old master: formatted to ext3, ubuntu installed
slave: physically damaged, broken, clicks and doesn't work

Is it possible to recover the data from any of these drives, I'm willing to do what it takes to help my friend.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lost important files, HELP!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lost important files, HELP!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"the slave drive ticks and fails to work."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2009 9:10 PM PST

Now the drive has a hardware failure, software recovery tools and do it yourself recovery is not an option. Don't fret however, since you can go to http://www.drivesavers.com and see what they can do for you.
Bob

Collapse -
Lost files
by Phil Crase / January 16, 2009 12:00 AM PST

Try Bob's method first, then if within WINDOWS that the files (lost) existed, find a copy of IOLO search and recover 4 or later and load that, do a file recovery (search) might just do it. If it is within Linux/Ubuntu, you have a problem.

Collapse -
not impressed with iolo
by Raccoon1400 / January 16, 2009 6:11 AM PST
In reply to: Lost files

I searched my external hard drive with it, and it only found 3 files, and the program in the original post found a huge list.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.