Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Lost data?

by scrobob / March 18, 2009 12:23 AM PDT

Sorry if my technical lingo is not up to par. Happy

I recently had a lot of slowdown on my computer and it was found to have many viruses and spyware. I took it to a fellow who suggested I reinstall XP and he did while backing up my data. I was pleased. It cost me $60. But I started getting a message about activating windows. It requested a CD KEY (Which I found on the side of my comp) so I entered it and it said it was invalid. I have recently discovered that the reason for thisis my key is for home and he put professional in.

Long story short I called him and called him and no luck getting him in to fix this. I can't even reach the cell anymore that I am calling. Now windows has blocked me from logging in untill I activate it. I've bought a version of windows at Staples (Windows XP Home edition) and want to install it but I do not want to lose some of the stuff from my desktop. I have photographs that were lost in a fire saved there from the early 1900s (family) and the only pictures of my grandson after his birth (lost in same fire) as well as some legal documents that will take some time to redo.

I saved everything in a folder on my desktop marked BACKUP (his instructions for when he comes to fix windows for me... not happening now apparently.) and now Windows will not let me get in to burn them to CD before installing my XP original disc I bought This has become eternally frustrating.

I tried to take my HDD out of my computer and insert it into my sons computer but it says permission denied when I try to get into the directory for my user (E:\Documents and Settings\DonScrobo) through his computer which is also running WindowsXP and when I plugged into his network and tried to access my computer's HDD through the network (it was setup for file sharing when I was hooked up 2 weeks ago to transfer all of his home movies) and it lets me into the shared drive (C:\) but won't let me get into the C:\Documents and Settings\DonScrobo folder.

My question: Is there any way to recover this data? If I put my Windows XP Home disc into the drive and install it will I lose my data? I don't want to trust my legal documents to a store for data recovery (extremely sensitive nature) and I know basics of computers enough to get me around. Can anyone help with this?

I just want my BACKUP folder from my desktop Sad (I'd like to get the email folders from Thunderbird as well but that's not as important.) A lesson in the value of backing up your system to DVD every now and then Happy

Eternally grateful for help
Don

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lost data?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lost data?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: access denied
by Kees Bakker / March 18, 2009 12:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Lost data?

Google XP TAKE OWNERSHIP and you'll have access once you've done what you learn.

Better find another "fellow" next time!

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks!
by scrobob / March 18, 2009 12:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: access denied

"Google XP TAKE OWNERSHIP and you'll have access once you've done what you learn."
Ahh I see. So I'll take my HDD over to my son's house and try this out. He'll be home from work soon enough. I can't thank you enough for your help. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about computers but I come from a day when TV's were just a dream Happy I remember my dad telling me one day we'll be able to take a radio wherever we go. He remembered that till the day he died... when Sony Walkman came out he even said "See... I told you Donnie."

I'm not the most tech savvy old fart on the internet but I've got an HP65 calculator that still works. In those days it was considered a computer Happy I think now it's pretty much looked at as an outdated calculator!

Thanks again.

"Better find another "fellow" next time! "
He seemed on the ball with knowing what he was doing... I didn't quite like not having an address or anything. From now on if I can't do it myself I'll have Staples do it for me:) (Although I think I'll take it into my own hands from now on.)

A very grateful
Don Scrobo

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.