Computer Help forum

General discussion

Lost control of IE Toolbar

by 5dukesnnc / October 31, 2004 4:29 AM PST

I'm operating a new Dell Dimension 8400, Pentium 4 with 3 GHz speed and 1 GHz memory, Windows XP, Office Small Business Edition 2003.

I had been having some problems with having a web page open, clicking on a link in that web page that actually opened a new web page then when I closed, the page "underneath" would be locked up. I questioned in a previous post, ran all the scans with House Call Ad-ware and Spy Bot. Did a System File check and finally had to take necessary steps to reinstall IE.

This corrected the problem so I proceeded with also installing SP2 by backing up my system, again running all the necessary scans for viruses with Norton, doing live updates for Notorn and checking for Spyware with House Call, Ad-Aware and Spy Bot.

My problem (finally getting to it!) is I didn't notice but my IE toolbars do not remain as I want them. I know how to click on view, toolbars and see what all is checked. I also know that I can lock or unlock the toolbars but once I close IE and go back later, any change I may have made such as pulling the link toolbar to the left enough to reveal the three most favorite links will be hidden again.

I've looked in add/remove at the programs listed and I really do not see any unnecessary toolbars. I had Google but since I installed SP2, I could see that it had a pop-up blocker feature so I removed Google since that was my main reason for having.

I know some would say "don't use IE" as your browser. That's fine but since I have to use that browser at work, I really prefer not getting used to something different. I can't make changes to the settings or appearance of my office computer, which is why I PREFER the opportunity to change my personal computer.

There are other users but I don't think they have installed anything that would be causing the problem. If so, would it not show up in my add/remove programs.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Right now I'm fixing the toolbar to how I want it to look then I have to leave it minimized if I want it to remain. Thanks for your suggestions.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lost control of IE Toolbar
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lost control of IE Toolbar
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Lost control of IE Toolbar
by reefurbb / October 31, 2004 10:11 PM PST

under view>customize choose "no text labels" and also remove any unwanted items from right hand window. This will leave xtra space for your toolbar. Then u might lock the toolbar to stop changes.
SP2 put in an updated version of I.E.6 that is no longer a standalone browser.

Collapse -
Re: Lost control of IE Toolbar
by billzhills / November 1, 2004 8:25 AM PST

May be way off base....

Key word for me is other users...

Windows may be defaulting back to the orignal install settings. Maybe by setting accounts for everyone your settings may lock.

Are you loging in as an administrator?
Only Administrators can make system changes.

Not much but all I can offer

Collapse -
Thanks 2 u both - Lost control of IE Toolbar
by 5dukesnnc / November 1, 2004 2:14 PM PST

I tried both and I also changed the other user to "limited" so that I was the only one with Administrator. Still doesn't work. Still have standard buttons (with selective text even though I chose no text). Still have l-o-n-g address toolbar with just the arrows to let me know the link toolbar is at the extreme right.

I've unlocked to make the changes and then locked to keep the changes but once I close IE everything reverts back. I'm at a total loss!! But thanks anyway.

Collapse -
post this ques in the XP forum...
by reefurbb / November 1, 2004 8:40 PM PST

and we'll hope u find a guru with better answers. I've never lost control of the toolbar unless some malware did it (cool web search)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.