HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Lost boot record - virus I think?

by netrates / July 3, 2011 3:31 AM PDT

I left me computer running the other day and when I came back it had rebooted. I run a dual boot with Win 7 / Xp.It
had booted to Win7, so I didn't think anything of it, just maybe an
anomaly or something.

I rebooted XP and found that my desktop had
completely disappeared. Also, the Quick start Icon had all disappeared
and I only had 2 programs in the START > PROGRAMS.One of those
programs was the XP Repair virus (which I have seen before on a friends
computer). In the bottom right hand corner was the little circle/with
an X through it icon (again the virus XP repair Icon). I didn't know
what to do considering that I couldn't do anything with my desktop. It
just sort of froze but I was still able to move the mouse around. The
drive whirred away.

I rebooted, trying SAFE MODE - and this really
surprised me - same thing. No desktop icon, only two program files and
the XP repair VIRUS. So I am at a loss of what to do. I can see all of the files on my other drive from WIN 7 (which I am using right now). I
have run malware and virus checkers, on track AT HOME and others to get
rid of the virus on the XP drive, but to no avail. Any idea how to get
the boot back? Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lost boot record - virus I think?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lost boot record - virus I think?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I doubt it is a boot sector virus
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 3, 2011 3:50 AM PDT

otherwise you would not have been able to boot up into Windows 7. Also, the fact that you were able to boot into XP Safe Mode means the boot sector is fine.

See if the advice and link given in Carol's post below helps;
http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6132_102-5147396.html

Since you are still able to use Windows 7 there should be no problem downloading anti-malware utilities and downloading and in particular, the utility called RKill can be copied over to your infected XP system, preferably the Desktop folder, so that you can run that from there, either in Normal Mode or Safe Mode.

Make sure you read all the guidance offered so that you know what you have to do.

Hope that sorts it for you.

Mark

Collapse -
setting needed
by netrates / July 3, 2011 5:05 AM PDT

Thank you for that, the issue I am having now is that Malware does not let me choose the other HARD DRIVE to scan. I cannot find the setting option to let me choose another hard drive (Win 7 in on a separate drive). What should I do?

Collapse -
my mistake
by netrates / July 3, 2011 5:11 AM PDT
In reply to: setting needed

Nevermind, I didn't go far enough with Malware. Ok, I ran RKill from Win7 and then it gave me the log. I am not running Malware. I am going to try this from Win7 for now, if this doesn't work, I am going to try it from XP, if it will let me past the boot phase.

Collapse -
It worked - but still issues
by netrates / July 3, 2011 1:27 PM PDT
In reply to: my mistake

Ok, it worked and got rid of the virus BUT, I still don't have any PROGRAM FILES, they are all gone from the start menu. Also, my QUICK START buttons are gone (like Show Desktop etc). Lastly, all of my icons on the desktop are greyed out for some reason. Only the ones I added from the virus check are coloured properly.
Here is the files that came up when I booted :

Missing : edegeopepubit.dll

Maybe this has something to do with it?

Collapse -
That RKill
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 3, 2011 8:08 PM PDT

That RKill needs to be run from within XP, not Win 7. RKill kills all malware "Processes" from within the infected OS so running it from within Win 7 it will not identify the XP Processes.

Try that first. then run your anti-virus scanner from within XP without rebooting. Better still, if you can now install MBAM into XP, (even if you have to do it in Safe Mode), do that, update MBAM's definitions. Then, in XP's Normal Mode, run RKill and when that is complete and without rebooting, run a full scan with MBAM.

Don't forget to follow the BleepingComputer's guide carefully, and especially item 17 in the removal listing, to download and run Unhide.exe.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
virus in IE
by netrates / July 4, 2011 2:22 AM PDT
In reply to: That RKill

Well, the virus is still there in some form. It now boots to XP but Maxthon (an IE based Browser) opens on its own all the time and spams adds.
I really want to do a drive backup, but not until I get this virus eliminated.
I am now running Rkill again (it said it did not stop any programs or find anything). I then downloaded Anti Malware again and now I am running that.
Yes the Unhide fixed the desktop icon programs and my start programs, but now I am trying to get rid of the last vestiges of this virus.
I am running XP in normal mode, Rkill finished and Anti-malaware presently running.

Collapse -
still virus lingering
by netrates / July 4, 2011 3:50 AM PDT
In reply to: virus in IE

I ran the process stated above and found that the virus (or the IE virus) is still there. I used EasyCleaner to get rid of some suspect startup files. I am hoping that is the problem. Going to run it all again and see what happens.

Collapse -
Maxthon
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 4, 2011 5:11 AM PDT
In reply to: still virus lingering

Personally I wouldn't use any IE based browser, but I know that is just my personal choice.

If Maxthon has Add-ons, try an elimination test on them. Disable all, test the browser, then re-enable them one by one until you see the culprit. I'm guessing that, like IE, most problems with the browser can be traced back to bad add-ons.

Glad you got the icons and Start folder listing back.

Just one more thing though. We don't recommend many registry cleaners or optimizers. In fact we don't recommend any. They can cause too much damage.

Mark

Collapse -
It is hijacking my browser
by netrates / July 4, 2011 7:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Maxthon

So, I ran everything again, including Spybot and SuperAntiSpyware and when I reboot - Maxthon browser comes up automatically at this site :

http://www.clickdoubtful.org

Well, there is nothing in my start up to make this happen, so I am not sure how to proceed. When I launch Firefox, it continually asks me if I want to make this my default browser ,so hence why I think it is hijacking it during the bootup or something. I was going to run Hijack this, but I am unsure what to look for. Any ideas?

Collapse -
Do you mean a Home Page?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 4, 2011 8:49 PM PDT

Do you mean that 'that' site appears as your Home Page when you open the Maxthon browser? If so, change the home page. As it is an IE related browser that should be easy. Go to Tools > Internet Options, then the General tab, and manually delete that web site URL from the Home Page entry.

Mark

Collapse -
browser opens by itself
by netrates / July 5, 2011 7:57 AM PDT

No I mean the browser opens by itself periodically. Even if i leave the computer alone.

Collapse -
The browser opens by itself.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 5, 2011 8:31 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.