Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Lost autopaly for digital picture downloading

by Chuck100 / July 19, 2004 8:19 AM PDT

Hi,

Both my partner and I run our own xp pro-sp1 editions of Windows on our own computers. We both have the same problem; we've lost out Auto Play for downloading digital pictures. What an annoyance to loose it once you've had it. I downloaded the fix from Microsoft, that didn't work. I tried System Restore, that didn't work either, you name it, I've tried it. We know we can download the pictures by going through Computer and right clicking, but it's just not the same thing as Auto PLay.

What's the secret, how do we get Auto Play to appear automatically when we start downloading pictures? Please tell me there is a solution and that we don't have to format to get the feature to work properly again. I don't mind formatting to solve the problem, but what if we do that and the same problem crops up again! The solution can't always be to format.

One of the great features about xp is the AutoPlay feature. Please help.

Sincerely yours,
Chuck

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Re: Lost autopaly for digital picture downloading
by glb613 / July 19, 2004 8:53 AM PDT

To enable autoplay for the DVD/CD drive, you go to my computer or Windows Explorer, right click on the drive then left click on properties. That is where you find the autoplay tab and can select what you want to do with different types of files.

I don't know if that will work with your camera or not. Try connecting the camera, opening either my computer or Windows exlorer and see if you can access autoplay in the same manner you do for the DVD/CD drive. If you can, then select photos and pick the program you want to use or select prompt me each time to choose an action.

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / July 19, 2004 11:07 PM PDT
Both my partner and I run our own xp pro-sp1 editions of Windows on our own computers. We both have the same problem; we've lost out Auto Play for downloading digital pictures.

Perhaps it's that the software (media) used -- that may be exactly the same version on both computers -- that simply is not up to the standards expected!

1. The functions available for "AutoPlay" (Click to see an example screenshot) when inserting a CD or DVD are pictures, music files, video, and mixed content which can be set for automatically, display a prompt to choose an action, or to take no action at all when a specific file type is encountered . If the options appear correctly set, see if running the Microsoft "Autoplay Repair Wizard AutoFix.Exe" will fix the problem. Suggested reading, "Using and Configuring AutoPlay."

2. Using the Scanner and Camera Wizard, users can retrieve images from any of the supported devices installed on the system. The Wizard provides a preview page where the user can select from several scanning options and adjust image settings. It is opened by default when WIA-enabled scanners are activated (a "scan event") and when Plug and Play still digital cameras are connected (a "connect event"). By using the AutoPlay dialog, the Wizard can also be opened when media, such as flash memory cards, which contain image files are inserted into the computer (a "media-insertion event"). Note however, this Wizard is not opened by default for video cameras.

3. Autoplay tab Missing and CD's Don't Autoplay: Since registered components on a system is invoked using the Shell Hardware Detection service and also because non-volume handlers are invoked through it, this service cannot be deactivated. If it is, a user may find they have no access to or can they use either Volume-based or Non-volume-based devices.

a. The primary purpose of Autoplay is to provide a software response to hardware actions initiated by the user on a machine. This feature remained roughly the same from Win95 though W2K and WinME because up until recently there have been very few new scenarios with regard to user-initiated hardware events that could trigger a useful Autoplay action. But lately, with the spread of digital multimedia content (music, graphics, and video) and of the many devices to generate or consume that content, many new scenarios are begging for expansion. In addition to refining the existing Autorun.INF mechanism, audio CD Autoplays, and DVD video Autoplay, support has been added to handle digital music (WMA/MP3), graphics, video, CD burning, video cameras, and other hardware devices.

b. If you've installed software from a CD, you've used an Autorun.INF which the majority of the setup CDs use. The typical user scenario is: a CD is inserted into the CD drive, the setup program runs automatically, and the user simply follows the on-screen instructions generated by the setup software. The Autorun.INF file sample section follows the typical format similar to the following where the first line contains the self-executing Exe file which also contains the text string for an icon. In addition, there could also be value labels of UseAutoPlay (when present, it will take precedence over the open and ShellExecute values and is intended primarily for use with multimedia content for which Autoplay support was added to Windows XP and used to represent the associated drive in the Windows shell) and ShellExecute (works with file associations to run the application associated with the specified file):

[autorun]
open=StartCD.exe
icon=StartCD.exe,-1456

c. When determining what actions to suggest or perform in response to an event, Autoplay on WinXP considers the event in conjunction with the various programs registered on a computer. In contrast before, it would always statically run the same application pointed to in the Autorun.INF file or play an Audio CD or DVD movie using the respective default application. Now, two categories of events are handled:

(1) Volume-based device events are events that affect devices that appear as volumes -- that is, all disk drives accessible via Windows file system APIs. This includes CD drives, removable disk drives, hard disk drives, removable media readers, and mass storage devices. Basically, if it shows up under My Computer with a drive letter, it's a volume-based device.

(2) Non-volume-based devices include, well, everything else. Specific examples of these devices include digital video cameras and portable music players that do not expose their content as a file system supported by WinXP. This does not mean that all video cameras and portable music players are non-volume devices. For example, newer digital cameras and portable music players that use the USB Mass Storage stack are treated as volume devices since they appear to the system as volumes. Digital camera devices which are non-volume devices get special treatment from Windows. Even though they are non-volume devices, they are handled by the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) component for backward compatibility reasons.

Note: The article [Q307001] states that by default, the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service logs errors to a file named Wiadebug.log in the Windows-folder folder and controlled by settings in the following registry address:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\StillImage\Debug\
Module_name\DebugFlags

The section titled "Autoplay Diagnostic Tools" provides two tools concerning the Shell Hardware Detection service processing for hardware events.

4. The article [Q330135] states that when you insert a CD-ROM into your CD-ROM drive, the AutoPlay or AutoRun feature may not work or is unavailable, but that your CD-ROM drive may work correctly in every other way and may occur if any of the following conditions exist (possible resolutions are discussed for each):

a. A version of Roxio "Easy CD Creator" that is earlier than version 5.02d is installed in your computer.

b. The AutoPlay feature is turned off in the registry:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom\AutoRun
and
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\
NoDriveTypeAutoRun

c. Your CD-ROM drive is using an outdated driver.

d. The CD-ROM drivers are not compatible with Windows XP.

5. The article "The AutoPlay Function Does Not Work and the Current Media Does Not Appear in My Computer When You Insert a CD or DVD (Q817357)" explains that when you insert a CD or DVD into your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, you may experience one or both of the following problems, and the recommends a remedy:

a. The AutoPlay function does not work. Programs or files that you expect to start or open automatically do not start or open when you insert the media into the drive.

b. The CD-ROM or DVD-ROM icon in My Computer is not updated when you change media. For example, if you replace an audio CD with a program installation CD and then open My Computer, the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM icon may still display "Audio CD".

6. Supplemental reading:

a. "AutoPlay Intermittently Does Not Detect Removable Media or Digital Cameras (Q822660)."

Note: The Microsoft "AutoPlay Repair Wizard" (AutoFix.exe) scans your computer devices to find defective AutoPlay settings, and attempts to fix those it finds.

b. "Some Access Keys Apply to More Than One Command on the Shortcut Menu for CD-RW Drive (Q303557)."

c. "CD-ROM Does Not Run Automatically After You Insert It into Your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM Drive (Q312475)."

Note: This article does not mention Windows XP, but the system registry could be checked for the presence of the key NoDriveTypeAutoRun!

d. "CD-ROM May Not Run Automatically in Windows XP (Q314855)."

e. "How to Enable or Disable Automatically Running CD-ROMs (Q155217)."

Note: That article does not list WinXP as an operating system for which the article applies.
Collapse -
by Mary / July 20, 2004 7:13 AM PDT

Just wanted to say the same thing happened to me last month and I have no clue how or why. I tried everything like making sure auto play was enabled and such and nothing worked. For two years now when I put a card in the sandisk the XP wizard came up with no problems so I figured my sandisk card reader broke. Then when I went to put a CD in the drive it wouldn't auto play so I realized it was something up with the computer. I knew the sandisk and CD drive had auto played fine earlier in the week so I did a system resotre and that solved the whole problem for me and it's been fine ever since but it was a mystery as to what caused auto play to stop working. Stupid me never thought to check my CD drive and I just assumed the sandisk was broken so I have learned now when one thing does not work I will check other devices on the computer.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!