General discussion

Lost all email after help from ATT technician

I have a relative who lost all of her AOL email due to "help" given by an ATT technician who was advising her on how to create a folder for her Favorites. Evidently, she has a DSL internet set up with ATT for her internet connection. I'm sure here OS is Win7.
Can she retrieve her email files on her hard drive? If so, where are they located?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Lost all email after help from ATT technician
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Lost all email after help from ATT technician
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
What does she use?

What software does she use to manage her emails?

Email folders are stored in different locations, depending what is used.

if this is 'web-based' email, then nothing is lost. The email folders should still be available on the email web pages.

Mark

- Collapse -
She has an AOL web address

Her internet provider is ATT, so she's hook up via DSL. And her email address indicates she's using AOL for her email account, which makes it web-based. She told me all her old emails vanished after following the directions of an ATT technician to set up folders for her list of Favorites. Where should she look for the emails which disappeared?

- Collapse -
If it is web based

then there is nothing we can do.

Web based emails are all stored remotely, and not on the users own computer.

I bet the emails are still there, but she just doesn't know how to locate them.

Amy chance you can help her in person? EG, be there when she accesses her web based email account and help her search through her folders.

Mark

- Collapse -
Re: aol
http://www.google.com/search?q=aol+pop3 shows that an aol-account can be pop3 or imap just as well as web-based only. So your "which makes it web-based" is unfounded.

And what exactly do you mean with "creating a folder for her favorites"? Just moving around a few shortcuts in a folder (that's what it does, no more) shouldn't have ANY consequences for mails, whatever software she uses.

So better find out the details! No help is possible without those.

Kees
- Collapse -
Lost email due to AOL glitch

It turns out that an AOL problem is the cause of my relative's missing emails. She's not very computer savvy and panicked when she saw them disappear.
Thanks to everybody for your help.

- Collapse -
Well, that's good, maybe!

Does that mean AOL have found your relative's emails? If so, that's great news.

If not, I hope they find them soon.

Mark

CNET Forums

Forum Info